Old anodes

Grinna

What does everyone do with their old anodes?

We got a collection of 3 sets of old hull and prop anodes that came with the boat. There's still a heap of material on them ... enough to make me reluctant to throw them away, but I wouldn't be fitting them to the boat unless in an emergency. So can they be recycled? melted down and re-cast? tossed into deep water? biffed into the bin?

Put em in the garage! right beside that old jib that you' might use for a cover one day' the old rigging that's too good to just chuck out, the turbo that crapped out last year and the fried gearbox which might be good for parts , wait..this is me. :wink:

I keep one at least so I have the size /pattern for the new one should it be a between tides/ floating dock job.

You can take them to a scrap dealer and get Scrap Zinc prices for them. Hey it might buy a half dozen, or yes you can melt them down and recast it if you want. It has a melting point a little above lead. Easy to melt and to recast. I just use a simple gas camping cooker.

I am going to make a plaster mould from my new ones, so I can cast more from the massive ship sized one I was given. Lifetime supply!!

I'll cast the steel strap into the mould so I can reuse the straps each time.

If I get around to it. :think:

I've got a burner and pot from melting the lead for my Keel.

Archived