Island Bay

mattyg

Looks like you got a bit of weather for the race - people overboard (Esprit), gear damage (Clearvision) and other withdrawls during the race (Cosmic Thing). Lucky the wind didn't come through as forecast!

Esprit went down the mine big time, right in front of us, saw whole bottom of boat, rudder and all out the water, very impressive :thumbup: :thumbup: I'm sure not so fun for those who were onboard and those that ended up in the water... Our rescue attempt was foiled by a jammed main halyard but congratulations to the guys on Blue Magic? I think it was who picked them up! :clap: :clap: :clap: Would've been freezing in the water. We pulled the pin at that point, had 25kts gusting 35 on the way out, did not want to have to come all the way back in to it and it was building... Broke spinnaker pole too so was another reason to go home...

On Cosmic Thing we had distroyed our headsail, spinnaker and traveller before we had even got to Moaning Minnie, so we decided to retire after some awesome runs.

Lucky the wind didn't come through as forecast!

I reckon the forecast was correct.

As someone with a good knowledge of the incident concerning Esprit I can assure you that the weather forecast was far more accurate than Young Mr Reid's description of what happened. No one was "catapulted" off the boat rather they were washed gently off what became the leeward side. Further crew members who were getting the kite down confirm the mast never touched the water.

Perhaps Young Mr Reid should refrain from a career in news reporting and instead apply to Peter Jackson for a role which would make the most of his creative skills.

as I was sitting in the marina with a wee rum, the wind didn't seem that strong, gusts of 30kts shouldn't have had that carnage

the forecast was for 35 gusting 45 and I got the impression that the wind hadn't got near that (not over 30?) when the race was on but might have later. Any one who was out there had time to look at the windspeed?

You sure know how to dull down such a spectacular/frightning sight. So why does the boat keep fliping over?

Lucky the wind didn't come through as forecast!

I reckon the forecast was correct.

As someone with a good knowledge of the incident concerning Esprit I can assure you that the weather forecast was far more accurate than Young Mr Reid's description of what happened. No one was "catapulted" off the boat rather they were washed gently off what became the leeward side. Further crew members who were getting the kite down confirm the mast never touched the water.

Perhaps Young Mr Reid should refrain from a career in news reporting and instead apply to Peter Jackson for a role which would make the most of his creative skills.

as I was sitting in the marina with a wee rum, the wind didn't seem that strong, gusts of 30kts shouldn't have had that carnage

the forecast was for 35 gusting 45 and I got the impression that the wind hadn't got near that (not over 30?) when the race was on but might have later. Any one who was out there had time to look at the windspeed?

We had constantly over 25, up to 28 and gusting 34 to 36 at times, so not as bad as forecast but the swell through to the heads was pretty steep... Heard reports that Needax saw 50kts wind speed just outside the heads... Not sure about that tho...

Archived