Roller Furling headsails using existing sails

smithy09

I have a few questions on using roller furlers on sails that are not made for roller furling. This is just for cruising, or maybe short handed racing when you want to get rid of the foresail quickly.

Can you use a furler to furl say a #1 or a #2 without damaging them? I am thinking just furling, not reefing.

I understand that furler sails that are purpose specific have foam filled luffs and the like to try to keep the shape when reefed, but will just furling say a North 3DL or a carbon sail, damage it at all? (Excluding UV damage).

How about getting an old #1 re-cut to suit. Is that done very often?

I'll be interested to hear what is possible and what is not..

If its a full size no 1 you may have to get a fair amount of the luff chopped off to take into account the lost length through the halyard swivel and the furling drum adding a foam luff or any other modification will help furling. In my opinion furling a sail with carbon in it is better than folding it as carbon is rather brittle it tends to break along the fold lines but if you furl it there will be minimal creasing. any fibrepath string sail should be fine with furling.

Most cruiser/racers you'll see around the place have a #2 on the furler and a #1 for racing that has a full length luff i.e it goes past the furling drum so the tack is right at the bottom of the forestay.

Furling headsails are normally cut higher in the clew so that the sheeting angle remains relatively constant when they are partly furled. You might find that an old #2 will fit because it is not full hoist but easy enough to cut down if required. The other thing you may need to do is get a bit of curve cut into the luff to counteract the extra sag in the forestay due to the mass of the furler.

Very handy things to have when racing shorthanded especially for kite hoists and then when you have to get rid of the kite quickly. Nice to have when cruising but to be honest I don't miss it as much as I thought I was going to.

Thanks Guys. I hadn't thought of the luff length. Is that why the drums are removable, so you can just use the foil and full length sails for racing?

Yes, although depending on how your #1 is cut you might be able to use it with the drum in place.

Archived