New skin fitting

Fogg

I got the standard Yanma setup with the cooling water intake running via the saildrive leg but I've had some issues with interrupted flow and I'm never 100% confident how clear the intake waterways are cos they are impossible to see.

I've heard of several Yanma saildrive owners by-passing the saildrive leg intake and drawing cooling water direct from a conventional through-hull skin fitting in the engine bay. I'm seriously considering doing this although it does of course mean drilling a new hole in the hull - a non-trivial decision.

Anyone with an experience of this?

AC, we made this modification when putting a volvo back into Lightning during the rebuild. Already have a small hole in the hull in about the right spot that I enlarged for the water inlet thru hull. Took away the worry of whether the water would be drawn in thru the saildrive. Recommend it. The engineer was keen to see the mod done. What do you need to know?

Ive got a Volvo with saildrive and two raw water intakes, one from the saildrive unit, and one from a seperate throughhull, these are conected via a Y valve which enables me to switch between the two if one should become blocked. Its a dead simple setup, and gives me backup protection against a blockage. It was very easy and cheap to put in, took about two hours to do and cost about $50 in parts.

I was paranoid that a plastic bag was going to wrap around the saildrive and block up the intakes, again.

Had a mate who was planning to do this and had chosen a location that would give a good vertical run to the engine, with the intention that, in the event of a blockage on the outside (e.g. mangrove seed) he could simply disconnect the top end and poke down a length of sail batten or wire to dislodge it.

This was a new install and at the time, the advice from Yanmar was that they would only honour the warranty if installed in strict accordance with their guidelines.

Personally I would be doing what you are doing - the simpler and more visible it all is, the better. :thumbup:

Thanks. I think this confirms this is a go-er. I had heard of people making this mod but never 'met' anyone but a handful of you here have done it succesffuly. It makes sense. Now, where's my drill....

Archived