limits to work on grid/drying out

DrWatson

Wasn't sure where to post this but.

What are the limits to the work you can do on your boat on the grid, or dried out on the mudflats?

Obviously scraping off the old anti-foul is a no no, but are you allowed to for example:

Take your old prop off and install a new one?

Change your anode?

Clear the growth out of your cooling inlet pipe? Cut the barnacles off the bottom of your keel?

Apply anti-foul as long as you don't need to scrape the old stuff off?

To what extent can you clean your boat in the water? Just a gentle scrub (which liberates anti-foul anyway) or can you cut the forest off the waterline and harvest the mussels?

Just wondering what's allowed and what's not.

Yeah pretty much as you just described. It's only the large amount of AF being cleaned off in one place they don't like. Nor should they. However, I reckon if you captured it by placing ground sheets under the boat, there shouldn't be a problem. But it is a case of trying to convince the powers to be about that. I reckon heavy material sheets like painting drop sheets so as water will run through it, but all paint captivated would work well.

I guess it comes down to what's practical/cost-effective as well, especially in Auckland where you have the Floating Dock and numerous competitively-priced travel-lifts.

If it's just a small job that can be done well in-between tides (changing prop/anode etc) the grid approach makes sense.

However, if you're going to be applying a couple of hundred dollars worth of antifoul, to me it is more logical to come right out and do the best possible job to get value out of what you are ideally hoping will last a couple of years.

The last time I put a boat on the grid at westhaven I had to provide proof of insurance and sign a document which guaranteed that the boat had been cleaned within 6 months . There were all sorts of other conditions. No paint to be applied at all , light clean only such as you would do to remove a light slime.

There was no problem with changing props or anodes but if they saw you chopping weed and barnacles , I think there would be.

Archived