New Battery Tech, time from conception to release

I have been watching with interest the new Solid State Battery technology that Toyota has just produced. The Solid State battery is said to be able to accept a full charge in just 15mins, endure over 5000cycles BEFORE any significant drop in charge capacity, last for 30yrs in Vehicle applications, are lighter in weight and have greater capacity per/Kg. On top of all that, safer as they cannot catch fire and the Materials used and manufacturing ease will eventually make them much cheaper and dramatically bring down the cost of a Vehicle.
However, this is that part I was a little shocked about. Going back a step first, there are many new technologies being reported. But in essence, they are still on a lab bench under development. Which annoys me greatly when a News Headline comes out reporting a break through and new Technology and it's going to revolutionise the World and blah blah blah, only to find that often the new battery is still on a Lab bench somewhere as a concept, but no one has actually produced a marketable design yet.
Well Toyota's news was a little different. They actually have a working battery in a Vehicle that is currently under test conditions, going around and around a track. It thought great, in a year or a bit more we should be seeing these in Vehicles and I am sure someone will start producing them in packs that can replace the Batteries we have in Boats and RV's. But then I was heard the bad news part. They plan to test this for 10yrs. WHAT??? 10yrs... seriously??? 10yrs before we see this in the market place? Is that how long many of these companies spend once they take a consept on the Lab bench, get it into a usable formate and create one and then it's 10yrs of testing before they start producing????
No wonder we don't see the new technologies come to market.
Toyota are about to start building a Facility to produce these Batteries. It is going to cost an estimated $13billion(I assume that is US dollars). That money is going to come from sales profits of the EV Vehicles they are producing now. So it's still someway off before they start on that as well.

Slightly aside from this story, Toyota is heading into the EV market boots and all and have 70 different models in production to be released between the new Sales Season and 2025. There are rumours they have a new EV that is going to turn heads in many ways. One being price. The reports are that they will have an EV that will retail for $19995. I assume that is also US dollars. But it could also be Ozy Dollars, because that is the market it is heading to apparently.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, wheels said:

They plan to test this for 10yrs. WHAT??? 10yrs... seriously??? 10yrs before we see this in the market place?

Not from what I read.

Development over 10 years or more, into the market by 2025.

And the $13b includes all investment in battery technology.

Thats interesting because up to this point Toyota have had their head in the sand when it comes to EV's - they have gone the hybrid route saying they didnt believe  in 100% electric - I hope yopu are right because if they dont get on the band wagon before long they will end up like Kodak 

1 hour ago, 1paulg said:

Thats interesting because up to this point Toyota have had their head in the sand when it comes to EV's - they have gone the hybrid route saying they didnt believe  in 100% electric - I hope yopu are right because if they dont get on the band wagon before long they will end up like Kodak 

https://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/300478141/toyota-reveals-full-ev-range-including-a-ute

Possibly too late