Weiti / Stillwater launching

A few questions for the northern people;

Thinking about launching a powerboat from stillwater over the holiday period - is the ramp there okay at low tide? - and how deep is the channel at low tide? Is one side of channel better than the other when tides out?

cheers

I don't know much about Stillwater but at Weiti Boating Club the ramp is usable for fizzies at most stages of the tide. Possibly deaqd low on a spring tide might be a problem and the ramp would be slippery too. Also the bar at the river entrance is a slightly limiting factor depending on how much the boat draws and in an easterly set it can be a bit marginal for a wee while either side of low tide.

We charge $4 for a launch and retrieve payable by honesty box by the ramp.

Alternatively you could launch at Gulf Harbour provided you are happy with a dodgy ramp on the wrong side of the breakwater! :lol:

No idea which _______ decided to put it there, or how many dollars were spent by said _______ trying to make it safe....

I'll second Black Ensign's "reccomendation" for Gulf Harbour. Beautiful ramp in the wrong place. Completely open from South right round to about East. Anything more than about 5 knots from those directions and it's dodgy. Any more than 10 knots and it's dangerous!! Such a shame, as it has floating pontoons, side by side ramps, plenty of parking and toilets.....

Stillwater has an excellent ramp with a jetty and pontoon for guests to board. It's quite a long haul from the open water (5knots most of the way) and the bar has shallowed out over recent years now that the barges from the quarry further up-river have stopped scouring it out with their props. Bar is adjacent to the marker post.

Be careful on the bar in a SE wind, I got caught on it once (30+ and low tide) and it was as nasty a bar crossing as I've ever had. Got a big surprise. Mostly it's fine but always worth treating with respect.

Negatives for the Stillwater ramp are that it's muddy at low tide and you have to pay for launch retrieve (it's not expensive though).

Very under-rated spot, Stillwater, a lovely place.

5-600mts isn't that long a haul really.

Been over the Weiti bar a bit lately and it looks OK for most fizzes at all but super dead low I would think, even then probably sweet. Never saw less than 2.6mts and that was at around 1/2 tide. Did see a 2mt but then changed course back into the channel :?

Knot sure what it's like in a strong easterly though. Went over it many years back in one of those and agree it was a surprise and somewhat exciting for 50mts odd.

pretty much bang on KM. The bar is a no brainer for anyone - except in an easterly breeze then NE - SE you better be careful when the wind gets up. The ramp at Weiti BC is half the distance of Stillwater to the bar, but in the end where you are located is what counts. Anywhere on the north shore then it will still be quicker to drive to Weiti and launch from there than drive to Stillwater. The ramp is an all weather ramp for sure. Plenty of parking too.

Having said that, a regular flow of novices keeps us amused on a spring tide when they underestimate the 4 kt tide that can flow. :shock:

Anywhere on the north shore then it will still be quicker to drive to Weiti and launch from there than drive to Stillwater.

Not according to Google Maps Directions. Quicker to Stillwater.

Anywhere on the north shore then it will still be quicker to drive to Weiti and launch from there than drive to Stillwater.

Not according to Google Maps Directions. Quicker to Stillwater.

I love the internet age, where someone will accept the word of a computer generated algorithim over some local advice :crazy:

I thought this was a sailing website - aren't we supposed to despise power boat drivers?

Especially the ones who launch in the river then hoon past at about 50kts when you are going over the bar??

:mrgreen:

You're right BE, but we don't despise them until after they do it! We especially despise the ones who motor past all the boats on moorings at around 6 knots - almost on the plane - never looking behind them at the carnage they cause with their wake which is at its maximum size. Of course if it was their boat on a mooring it would be different.

To be fair the majority are pretty good.

Archived