Dibley Classe 950

SloopJohnB

Kevin has promised me the full report in a day or so, watch the home page.

Not trying to jump on the band wagon of the other projects out there. Just had the enquiry and followed through accordingly. Very cool box rule. Ideal for shorthanded Offshore. Makes sense for a lot of people.

http://www.dibleymarine.com/dibley/news.html

Merry Christmas all,

Kevin Dibley

First Design just sold to European syndicate for a home build.

Another NZ [Wellington] client is looking for two more owners who are interested in getting hull/decks/internals professionally built. Three yachts built together reduces labour and material costs quite substantially.

If interested, email info@dibleymarine.com and we'll pass you onto our client above.

Kevin Dibley

Dibley Classe 950 a.jpg

I wonder who in Wellywood........ he asks knowing the answer already ;)

So is plan is to have the boat available at just about any stage i.e. Hull and Decks only thru to the full sail away machine or anything in-between?

What's the thoughts on construction, infused or ??

So is plan is to have the boat available at just about any stage i.e. Hull and Decks only thru to the full sail away machine or anything in-between?

Design is being drawn for home build but in the case of Wellywood man 8) he is looking at Hull, Decks, Internal Structure, Rudder, keel etc... but he will finish off.

Builder is happy to take it to any stage and we are flexible in the building method. So you can almost call this a semi custom project.... Owners need choices!

Design is being drawn for home build but in the case of Wellywood man 8) he is looking at Hull, Decks, Internal Structure, Rudder, keel etc... but he will finish off.

Builder is happy to take it to any stage and we are flexible in the building method. So you can almost call this a semi custom project.... Owners need choices!

Send me an email and I will send the building methods for this particular client.

Talking to the wellywood man last weekend and the final costings seem to have put a dampener on things

Shame as this is an ideal class to get the local scene going again

If we can't build this size boats economically then it looks like NZ is destined for do-ups and production imports

We've found that without beg borrow or stealing we can't buy the materails or bolt ons for the cost of a local 10mtr import

Keeping in mind that this is a shorthanded, offshore racing yacht (how many production boats would you take offshore?], that has VPP's far higher than any import production yacht, the pricing isn't too bad.

You can buy the design and build yourself. The finished cost will probably be around the NZD$160K area.

You can buy the design and get a builder to build for you.

Richard Edlin Boat Builders will do hull/decks/internal structure, painted, for around NZD$120K and you can finish off yourself. Cost will probably be around the NZD$190K area.

Or if you get it professionally built and sailing...... all the way through, you'd launch her for around NZD$270,000 with Carbon spars etc....

Not bad really.

If you want a breakdown, drop me an email @ info@dibleymarine.com.

This is a great Box rule and perfect for those wanting exciting inshore/offshore shorthanded racing.

Having studied C950s for a while now including doing a few costings on assorted options I would have to agree with Kevin, those prices are knot at all bad.

Get Richard to do the hull/deck and finish yourself at 190K odd is a very competitive price if you compare it to say buying a sail-a-way version out of Europe. There is a significant saving there. One costing I did for one out of Europe came to around 230K (taxes/duty paid) and included a small element of 'getting a deal' in it. Then there was some 'assembly' work, knot huge amounts, to be done on arrival plus buy 4 sails.

second Classe 950 sold to England for a home build. This version has a lifting keel but with a half centre case that allows the interior to remain open and volumous. Nothing worse than coming down the companionway to have a full height centrecase blocking your vision and movements....

How do these costs compare with things like to Pogo 850s built by Structures???

http://www.boats.com/boat-details/Struc ... /121253231

hmmm... Comparisons are tough on boats that are designed and built so much differently and in different eras..

The 850 was designed in the year 2000, and though they have similar Beam and Lightship Displacements (though the 950 is 100 kg's lighter), the 950 is a metre longer with double the upwind sail area, and 55% more downwind area.

I'm not sure what the 850's retail for as the link you gave is for a second hand boat(?)

A new 2012 '950' built in China is about USD$140,000 + rig and sails. A New Zealand built boat, at a high level of build will be about USD$170,000 + rig and sails. Best to liaise with the NZ builders direct on this though as different levels of build can be negotiated and you can finish the fitout yourself. Of course you can always build completely yourself and save on labour costs.

If interested, send us an email and we will send you further details.

Archived