NRC Mediteranium Fanworm hunt

16 hours ago, Steve Pope said:

Banana's are already being grown commercially (farmers market) in Northland and the small ones have been around for much longer than I've lived up here.

I get at least 1 bunch of the small ones every year.

yeah, we got a crop of those starchy Pacific Island jobs a few years ago in Auckland.  I expect to get more of better quality as time goes by.

1 hour ago, aardvarkash10 said:

yeah, we got a crop of those starchy Pacific Island jobs a few years ago in Auckland.  I expect to get more of better quality as time goes by.

Misi Luki from Samoa is currently one of the better varieties to grow , less starch and great flavour compared to cavendish .  There were some very promising commercial hybrid Varieties coming out of gisborne but I doubt you will see the plants for sale anytime soon .  

I had a few in my backyard on the shore, its a large semi- annoying weed that one dumps the grass clippings on, eventually it produces delicious bunches of lady finger sized bananas but there is a massive amount of feeding and excess vegetation involved. I dont think we have the rich pockets of soil and "slave" labour to produce anything other than boutique  'nanas aimed for the well heeled gourmand