Super Yacht Crewing

I can't help you with info on the course, but i have a cousin that is or was(I am pretty sure she stil is) crewing on a superyacht based out of Morroco and she had or is having a blast. I say go for it.

For a large number of the superyachts certain quals are need that being the STCW type.

You could also try the NZ Maritime School in Downtown Auckland if that is nearer.

They run a STCW ’95 Basic Training Course that covers the STCW requirements for crew

goto http://www.maritime.ac.nz/ or even better give them a call 09-379 4997

You could try your luck wandering down to the viaduct and engaging some of the superyacht crews down there in conversation - they are mostly a friendly bunch and if they have time I'm sure you'll get some good first hand advice (you might have to buy someone coffee on their break). Some of the boats down there are NZ-based (but spend plenty time up in the islands) and some are on world travels and stopping over in NZ for a few months over summer.

An important attributes of superyacht crew is resourcefulness and confidence so if you achieve this first step that will be a positive sign!

But if you reach a dead-end let me know and I'll try to arrange an intro (I don't want to make it too easy for you). :)

You could try your luck wandering down to the viaduct and engaging some of the superyacht crews down there in conversation -

No I don't think that is the kind of work she is asking about. :wink:

Chatting with a couple of long time Superboat drivers who have and/or getting out of the game due to masses of people coming in with qualifications and Certs coming out their bum yet have never been on a Superboat, some knot even on a big smaller boat. They reckon it's verging on spooky and pushing insurance costs thru the roof which is starting to upset owners.

Don't forget paper is only paper, real experience counts huge so grab any of that anytime you can, even if it's only on big smaller boats.

Also many boats are and are likely to be laid up for a while so crew positions are knot as easy to get as they were.

Learn how to clean and polish, that is often a large part of the job.

So do the course but don't forget that's only one part of getting on a good boat. If you get a chance to crew, even short term, go for it. Hands on training counts a lot to a good skipper.

Im in Taranaki so not really much happening in the line of super yacht crews hanging around here.

Its just an idea at the moment, but something I've always been interested in so want to look into a bit more this year

Fitzroy Yachts build big buggers just by you. I wonder if you could get some sort of introduction or make a connection thru them somehow?

Often it's a case of who you know rather than what you know.

Actually many superyacts are just fizz boats on steroids. Maybe you could shmooze some time on a rig supply boat or similar. At least you could say you've had some sea time on a big boat. They work similar just one has polished woodwork where the others have painted steel.

Just a thought and by the way, damn good to see someone of your vintage with some sort of a go forward plan rather than sitting around wondering when the next PS3 game is going to be released. I hope it all pans out well for you and we see you back in 10 years time as skipper of a 35mt glamour.

if you consider starting out in overalls rather than something more posh try these guys, www.seaworks.co.nz, they are working just south of you, involved with the oil industry and all sorts of interesting jobs all over the place (NZ & further a feild)

yeah, I know a few people at Fitzroy Yachts and one thats quite high in management , so thats another foot in the door so to speak..

I just dont know if I will 'qualify' to crew as such though, I've done a bit of sailing, not too much though, just getting back into it now

the MTI course sure packs alot into 12 weeks - maybe too much?

As was mentioned maybe you should consider the SCTW 95 basic certificates first and get some experience.

The team at Mahurangi appear to be pretty good from my discussions with them and they have accommodation adjacent to the college which would be a plus for you. The whole Rodney area is a great place to spend a little time.

thanks guys :)

Have found on Trade Me - Well I heard that it was possible to get work on these megayachts as a deckhand based from Antibes in France, with no experience as long as you had a good attitude and were able to work longer than a standard 8 hour day. So I put a back pack on with a mate of mine and flew to France and got stuck into the superyacht scene by staying in crew hostels and talking to people. I got my first job walking around the docks and asking crew / captains and basically anyone I came across. I worked a season based on a boat in France then the captain recommended me to a friend of his for a boat in the Caribbean, so he flew me out and I did a year or so on this boat with 18 full time crew members, 52m boat owned by an American couple which also went to NY and Miami. All of the adventures were unbelievable, anyone can do it. Great tax free money and good fun for a young single lad! Friends of mine did it for 10 years (a couple) and came home and paid 450k cash for a house

The best thing you can do is go to Antibes, France. It is the biggest superyacht port in the Med and many people with no experience on yachts turn up every year and get work by networking, walking around talking to existing crew etc. There are lost of backpackers / crew houses to stay in and it is an english speaking town. Best time to go is April at the start of the season.

so thats another bit of goood info to chew on

Archived