Registration Offshore such as the Cook Islands

On 2/08/2023 at 2:10 PM, marinheiro said:

the cat that sank was an Australian boat rescued in the middle of the night by a NZ boat that was part of the ICNZ rally in what were described as "in a very brave and tricky situation". No doubt the NZ boats ASS and First aid training would have been of assistance

and your point continues to be the rules should be specially changed just to suit you.

I asked Jon a reasonable question and await with interest to see his response.

Yes M they are generally budget and inexperienced sailors, but not all, some are very experienced sailors that have been there done that and have very expensive boats and will be doing it for tax reasons. So the regulations are missing the ones that need it most in my personal opinion ( this is what I’ll take back to YNZ ) not sure what the answer is here, met some great guys on my 4th ASS course earlier this year that planned to head off.

like you said we hauled a month out so we could depart with new Antifoul and that would be one less issue to worry about up here and on returning 

Currently in Vuda sorting a mechanical issue but hopefully back out in a day or two.

As for the toddler that fell from the Wharram I’d say it was a moment of inattention that the parents now have to live with for the rest of their lives, could have been anyone or boat.

A Maritimo 51 hit the reef a few days ago and chewed up a prop, that is NZ registered and Cat 1, but sh*t happens to anyone anytime.

• Upvote 1

Jon, appreciate what you're doing.

If it is to be discussed why not chuck  in the fact that there is zero evidence that the cat 1 requirements have any effect on the number of boats needing assistance. 

I did attempt a preliminary look at this some years ago. To get the data took two requests under OIA so it took some time. From memory i found uninspected boats about 30% less likely to need rescue/assistance.  Of course this was totally unscientific and in particular did not consider all the other factors tgat might influence the results.

However I think would make a worthy point for discussion. 

Another angle I have been pondering lately: after 50 years of reading about boats and crews that have been lost,  an overwhelming majority can be ascribed to human error and had nothing to do with how many electronic whizgadgets were aboard.

Hi all, and thanks "en masse" for taking time to respond. To update my post, I own a 10 year old, 12mx 4.2mx1.4m draft 15 ton launch "Betty G" (BG). She has a 6LXB Gardner and was designed for offshore, albeit I've found the minimum measurement for a launch to go off shore is 12m excluding the bowsprit. BG is 12m including her bowsprit! Arrrghhh! I have tried numerous times to get an answer about whether an inspector has the latitude to permit BG to achieve CAT1 (let's ignore the people requirements for a minute). (Jon: I would be interested in your view about whether you would be able to waiver BG's length requirements to approve her for CAT 1 which I would prefer??)My plan was to invest in numerous improvements for offshore over the next few years, but I don't want to do this if I can't take her - I may as well get another boat, BUT I don't want to if that makes sense. I have enquired with Cook Islands Maritime, and CI registration is expensive - $5300.00 USD for 5 years, but at least I can take BG offshore, and now address other aspects of setup without fearing I'm wasting my money. I will likely look at the other suggestions regards the UK and Jersey too (Thanks for those). Hopefully I can figure how to include a pic of BG next! Thanks again Will

Send me an email with all the relevant details and I’ll ask the question, current we don’t have a head inspector as he’s decided to go off and do another lap, but I’ll get you an answer. Include some photos please

symaara@icloud.com

6 hours ago, Black Panther said:

While you are at it, can you waive the need for a gz curve forBP if I wanted to race  offshore.  Probably not going to happen now but that was the final straw last time.

History would account for a lot if cruising but the Organising Authority will probably require it, but I’ll ask