Any Farr 1220's languishing in NZ?

The issue I have (and I would wager I'm not the first to suffer this)....

Is that we have a particular trip in mind. Duration 6 months.

And although we are a family of 4, part of the attraction (read persuader) for getting this endeavor off the ground with my fair lady is the ability to periodically home other entire families with kids for 2 weeks at a time to break up the boredom for the kids and her.

So, myself who would happily go offshore in a Ross 40 or some such now has to look for something that can sleep 8-9, and sustain land folk who don't grasp the concept of not showering every day and opening the fridge every 5 mins, needing to plug hair straighteners in etc etc.

So that sends you into the 50ft bracket. 

Thing is, this may well be a one off trip.

I'm  based in the Weiti, so draft is a concern. (Not flush so we can have a flash boat or a marina - not both)

I'm happy to get a 1020 on and off piles by myself, a 40ft boat wouldn't present any bigger issue IMO. A 50ft plus beast becomes a bit of a burden even without having to haul and maintain.

But living in the islands we are going to need outdoor space, as much as I want a 1220 to work, the small cockpit and sloping coamings even without a wheel attached make for a pretty camped under Bimini experience.

Boat is sound in every other respect. 

Champagne tastes maybe not, but definitely beer budget!

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, funlovincriminal said:

And although we are a family of 4, part of the attraction (read persuader) for getting this endeavor off the ground with my fair lady is the ability to periodically home other entire families with kids for 2 weeks at a time to break up the boredom for the kids and her.

So, myself who would happily go offshore in a Ross 40 or some such now has to look for something that can sleep 8-9, and sustain land folk who don't grasp the concept of not showering every day and opening the fridge every 5 mins, needing to plug hair straighteners in etc etc.

I'm  based in the Weiti, so draft is a concern. (Not flush so we can have a flash boat or a marina - not both)

I'm happy to get a 1020 on and off piles by myself, a 40ft boat wouldn't present any bigger issue IMO. A 50ft plus beast becomes a bit of a burden even without having to haul and maintain.

But living in the islands we are going to need outdoor space, as much as I want a 1220 to work, the small cockpit and sloping coamings even without a wheel attached make for a pretty camped under Bimini experience.

Had a similar dilemma to you . We have a big blended family of 8 with 3 daughters.  Started out Looking at kiwi boats but the standard open quarter berth arrangement doesn’t cut the mustard in the privacy department nor does the one shower , one loo right next to the v berth .  

Went to counselling and got over the hump of only looking at kiwi boats and started looking at French boats , old ones . Wanted around 40 but needed up with probably the oldest bene 50 in nz . It checked out sound but needed a new gearbox , put a new one in myself over 6 weeks and found plenty of other small things to fix along the way . The standout boats we saw in sub 200k were Oceanis 411 (2001) and a Cyclades 43 (2003) the Cyclades was perfect but 20k out of reach and wouldn’t negotiate .

the 50 is certainly exciting to manoeuvre into and out of its berth in breeze or current without a thruster and there’s always plenty of that on our pole mooring . I will get back to you about maintenance $$ next year …

• Haha 1
15 hours ago, funlovincriminal said:

Chartering is a thing eh.

Keep the yacht you need for 95% of the time, charter the yacht the group needs for the 10 days or whatever that the event occurs.

Bonus:  Said charter can be anywhere globally, and everyone pays a share of it so you are not carrying the annual cost of ownership for a boat that only gets used ot its size potential once ina blue moon.

23 hours ago, funlovincriminal said:

Heaps of other boats with families out there. They won't be bored. Ever. The cruising community is cool.

• Upvote 1