sea lice / jellyfish larvae / something itchy BoI

So we've just come back from the bay of islands, which was generally great, but the kids got nailed by something in the water -- dozens if not hundreds of bites/stings/rash. Anyone else had a problem this year? Never been a problem before, BoI or Auckland or anywhere in between.

We also got bitten by what I call sea lice -though I believe they are really the larvae, only in Wairoa Bay (four island) this year -the rest of the BOI was fine, swimming numerous times a day. Ignore them and they go away after 3-4 days , but kids itch them constantly...

Same problem cruising in Fiji last year, apparently they are tiny jelly fish larvae and almost invisible, yes they itch like the devil for a few days, we used Soov ointment which helped a bit.

The kids definitely got them in Te Angamate, and I think also in Otaio and Opunga. (They only come up some hours later and there was so much swimming some times it was hard to tell!). Switch to looser fitting togs possibly helped... 

Seemed like there was something in the water at Whananaki.   Felt stings regularly while swimming, but no-one reported any bites/rashes that i'm aware of.  Couldn't see anything obvious in the water.

3 hours ago, Black Panther said:

Called Agua Mala (bad water) in Mexico.  Can't see them but itchy little buggers. A function of warmer water?

Yeah that's what one of the locals said -- happens sometimes when the water is particularly warm.