WiFi

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a supplier of marine wifi equipment ??

Preferably with practical real world knowledge re sail boats.

Hi magic, can you be a bit more specific about what you want to achieve? Is your connection all taken care of & you just want a wireless LAN on the boat, or are you looking for a connection also.

And if you are talking about your internet connection where does it have to work? In the marina, coastal or offshore also?

Thanks

Up near Whangarei Town basin there is a WiFi provider.

I went with a Vodafone vodem, worked almost everywhere coastal between Waiheke & Whangaroa where I was loitering. Good signal at Whangamumu too.

Was able to connect and check weather maps much faster than waiting for weather fax signal through SSB radio.

I installed a Huawei 3G Wireless access point over summer. From Dick Smith about $245.00. Its on 2degrees and works very well. You can connect up to 5 devices on wireless and 1 on USB. USB & Battery powered it last most of the day on battery if in full use.

Good range and works well with iTunes remote anywhere on the boat.

Hi

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

I am specifically looking for an omni directional hi gain antenna, bullet, cabling etc to attach to laptop.

Similar to the system below but locally sourced and hopefully better quality :D

http://www.wififorboats.com/index.html

I also have a "vodem modem" but don't like the plan I got signed up for, thankfully its just expiring.

Magic; I can probably help out - we do a lot of this sort of thing. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Bullets aren't specifically marine equipment; just reasonable spec outdoor gear (we use a lot of them in some very weather exposed areas). Coupled with some outdoor CAT5, self-amalgamating tape and a decent antenna you'll be well sorted. The Bullets and many of it's brethren also have passthrough PoE so two units can be powered from one PoE injector if you want to have a second unit for a wireless hotspot on your boat.

Archived