Why Registration and Licensing scare the shit out of me

Always an intersting debate with registration and licensing. I would hazard a guess that most people on this orum already have their vessel registered in one of the following ways

1. Yachting NZ sail number

2. NZ or overseas registration for sailing offshore

3. MNZ or MSA number for a charter or commercial vessel.

This puts a number on the vessel that links that boat to an owner.

Licensing is probaly there for a reasonable number of vessel skippers.

A dayskipper or boatmaster at the lower end or a yachtmaster for those needing coastal or offshore. There are also power boat courses and of course the commercial tickets. It does worry me that some people drive large power boats with little knowledge and no competence.

The basis for a sport/user group run Licensing and registration system already exist and could easily cover all vessels/masters. If this were done it would be very difficult for government to try to bring in registration and licensing as a safety measure when it already existed. Trying to bring it in as a revenue stream would be the only possible reason.

I know that many people are against such moves but personally (as a registered vessels and commercially and recreationaly qualified person) would like to know that a person is competent to drive their vessel and that when they cause an issue they can be identified and dealt with. What I don't want is to support 'safety measures' that are put in place to try to protect the incompetents who shouldn't be in a boat.

A good user based registration and licensing (competence) system is a reasonable idea. I'm not sure if this will happen with people fighting any such things until the government make it compulsory, and of course add an annual charge, administration cost etc.

A PWC registration cost $35 and is one off payment, change the owners details costs nothing.

Elenya: You left out:

4). The VHF/ Callsign (mainly Coastguard issued)

5). The SSB/VHF callsign which can be different!! as issued in Wellington.

6). EPIRB registration. See my other posts on their errors retyping data

7). Club(s) registration

Each of these organisations are independant and under the privacy laws will not / cannot share their databases, or even link in to some sort of master database for common information e.g. boat name, LOA, Beam, colour etc; normal location / marina etc.

All this seems really crazy to me on a Search and Rescue and general safety basis.

Good luck reorganising this once your revolution is successful.

:silent:

Sales tax, property tax, use tax, (some of these are paid annually unlike our GST)registration fees , but the main thing is that no one, not even the officials , can understand the system.

I bought a boat in California in 1995, left the country in it three days later, the county assessor there still insists I owe 12 months property tax (I actually paid the sales tax). I know this coz he occasionally writes to me to tell me so.

Archived