Any one have a Wallas stove yet?

I would love a Wallas stove but unfortunately haven't won lotto yet (maybe cause I don't buy tickets).

They look like the ducks nuts, just not very cheap. Must be a huge benefit only carrying diesel instead of all the faffing with LPG when on extended and international cruising. Just pruchased a new gas stove in order to get my gas certificate in order to placate the insurance company. Was looking longingly at the diesel stove options.

Had a good look at Wallas diesel heaters as well, ended up going for a far lower spec'ed one.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, aardvarkash10 said:

Depending on your risk appetite, AliExpress has options at 25% of the wallas unit.

I am a reliability engineer.... by nature I am extremely risk averse.... its in my genes, as my Dad was the same. He told me buying quality is like buying oats for the horse, you either pay top dollar for top quality oats, or you can by oats that have already been through a horse, which you can buy much cheaper.

But really, what I want to delve into is gimbling and possibly getting a two part set up, fixing the oven but gimbling the top.... as well as a general instalation chat with someone who has the experience. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If no one comes out of the woodwork hear, Advance Trident (the main retailer) might be worth speaking to.

The other direction to go in is a Dickinson diesel stove. They seem popular on the workboat type boats (fishing etc), like the more traditional displacement boats (Carey boats for example). Probably (almost definitely) don't gimbal, but might be a source of 'been there done that' information. A Wallas stove is probably better suited to a yacht (size, space and gimballing), but if you are to do a deep dive looking at diesel stoves it's probably worth understanding the other option on the market.

24 minutes ago, K4309 said:

If no one comes out of the woodwork hear, Advance Trident (the main retailer) might be worth speaking to.

The other direction to go in is a Dickinson diesel stove. They seem popular on the workboat type boats (fishing etc), like the more traditional displacement boats (Carey boats for example). Probably (almost definitely) don't gimbal, but might be a source of 'been there done that' information. A Wallas stove is probably better suited to a yacht (size, space and gimballing), but if you are to do a deep dive looking at diesel stoves it's probably worth understanding the other option on the market.

Thanks K4309..  yes, know about Advance Trident...  you can guarantee they would point me in the direction of a successful installation and happy customer... if you get my drift.

I have lots of experience with conventinal diesel stoves and I have a Dickenson heater on board. They do not like any inclination so not suitable for this application... and they require a large vertical flue, and take too long to heat and cool, all in all they would not suit my boat.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, ex Elly said:

Which one did you get? Force 10 looks good but pricy...

The Maxtek, 2 burner with grill and oven. It was the cheapest option going. Did look at the Eno. Our current one is a Flavell, very solid with white enamel. In my view any or all of the new ones feel light and cheap in comparison, and all come in stainless only. Wasn't intending to get a new stove and was still pondering what to do about the whole gas certificate thing, then Burnsco had a 20% off everything sale back in Feb. We've never seen stoves on sale so bit the bullet. I know of at least two other boats in the river (maybe 3) that went and got new stoves at the same sale.

The Flavell is a great stove, in good condition, worked great for 38 years, but doesn't have an instruction or installation manual, and only has auto flame out on the oven, not the grill or hobbs, so we had to change it.

Oh, the other main reason for the maxtek were the dimensions are almost exactly the same as the existing, where as the Eno was wider and not as tall. Probably would have fitted but the Maxtek was a like for like swap, oh, and has an external grill where as the Eno the grill is internal to the oven, so you have to leave the oven door open and can heat the control knobs up so they are too hot to touch (need to pull out some shield or something).

I didn't look at the Force 10. Price excluded it.

• Like 1