Life Raft hire- where's best to go?

Needing to sort myself a liferaft rental out for the SSANZ.

SJ- just isn't built for stowing a dinghy on....

Recommendations on best reasonable priced supplier?

There must be options?

Cheers,

Toles

Which race do you need a raft for? Pretty sure the quarter tonners do the small boat course? Which means you dont need a raft, Only shorthaul and longhaul for the third race...

Your right- Got my wires crossed up there!

Thats a relief!

" All boats competing in the B&G Simrad 100 Longhaul and Shorthaul courses must carry a current certified life raft

or approved dinghy, capable of carrying all crew, that is inflated and stowed above deck"

hey theres a guy up north a pom ( but he's still ok ) Tim the smelly Pom we call him ( but not to his face that is ) and he used to hire them out , maybe if "skiddy too "returns his one ( after years ) that could be available for other people to use ... unless he stole it and has no intention of returning it :? then it wont be for hire i guess :eh: .... any way if any one knows Skiddy Too grap his raft as it's not his :thumbdown:

I know there is a one-off cost but it works out cheaper to own one that hire it if you're doing the longer races. The service cost over three years (cat 2) is around $700 and you still have a raft to sell when you don't need it anymore. Jono has some good deals.

Guest mental outlook

Sounds like Skiddy Too has done that to a few people now. He did the same to a friend of mine. They found him and took back what was there's but he claimed they had stolen it from him. Ended up with him getting carted away in a police car! The guy's a freak.

Well it looks like he might get a free ride in a Police car again ..... you just cant go around stealing life rafts ... where is his boat kept ... the guy is full of crap

I know the pom bushman is talking about. Northland is a small close community.

He told me today that he has had an offer from the lacal chapter of the 'Black Power Colection Group' who have offered to buy the debt.

They allways get their money.

The pom has so far turned that option down but there are some Northlanders looking forward to the day he says yes.

Tickets will be on sale from the car park at the marina ( they know where the boat is ).

Perhaps SKIDDY Too should be SLIPPERY TOO.

If the BP bros get in touch with him it could be that his undies might become a bit skiddy too.

Pay up bro.. It pays in the end.

We have a number of hire rafts at Safety at Sea.

Last Simrad - plenty left $275

Coastal - nearly all gone $375

Also, if anyone is not doing either of the races we offer a 50/50 deal.

We manage the hire and go 50/50 with the owner of the raft.

New rafts

Winter special - 4 person cat 2 from $2500. Conditions apply - ie to be that cheap we order them in for you. But they do have a 3 year service. This gives you 5 people for the Coastal, White Is and Tga races

Yeah the debt collectors know where it is.

Do you think the slip master will get paid ? or anyone else working on it for that matter.

Hi, I am that smelly pom, a friend told me this chat was going on. Very interesting things you find out once you've been shafted. I made the mistake of sending the raft to him because he was running out of time for last years Akl/Denerauand I sent it before receiving payment or him signing the agreement for 1 months hire, trying to be helpfull. I had to report it stolen before he would return it ( I got it back after 9 months), he still hasn't paid and I've left the problem with a debt collector. But the number of people that have similar stories to tell is quite alarming. There's a huge difference between scraping by and ripping off most sailors scrape by and appreciate the help they receive, I've been in the marine trade my whole life and it's the same all over the world. This guy is different the bullshit factor was enormous and looking back I was set up from the first contact. A shame. In the hundreds or thousands of transactions I think i've only had 3 or 4 bad debts which speaks hugely about the people and the industry.

A bit of advice for any one buying a raft on trade-me, if its more than 18/20 years old don't buy it, or if its more than 10 years old don't pay more than 500. When you buy a new raft ($3,000) the initial service is about half the cost ($1,500) and they have about a 15 year life ($100/year). France and quite a few other countries only allow a raft to be serviced for 12-14 years then in the bin.

Think you will find John is his dad, the boat has been registered in his wifes name, his name and now his dads. Its been chained up a few times.

Ite Bretton Holland - I have some contact details from rigging days for him if you want them PM me.

We've been pretty lucky so far.

Had a couple of "extended" rentals, and someone still has my personal raft I lent as a favour a few years ago. It has my name and a Rotorua address on it - RFD Seasava 4....

But the old rules apply for hire - you use it you own it.

In reality the cost of owning a raft has shrunk tremendously compared with other running costs. In the old days a raft was a main cost to buy and it was an annual service similar to a haul out. Now its a small jib to buy and a 2 or 3 year service interval at 2/3 the cost of a haulout.

Archived