Camper pulls out of Fiji race

chic014

Announcement from ETNZ:

CAMPER is back in the Auckland-Musket Cove race. With the start delayed for 24 hours on Saturday in the face of gale-force winds, conditions are now expected to give the team the race training as well as the sail testing it needs for its preparation for the Volvo Ocean Race.

Emirates Team New Zealand withdrew CAMPER from the race on Friday because forecasts indicated head winds all the way to Fiji and return. That meant little chance of the team being able to do the down-wind sail testing required for its round-the-world race preparation.

Today the wind across the start line was a constant 40 knots, with 50 knots in the Hauraki Gulf. The Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron decided on a 24-hour delay.

Emirates Team New Zealand meteorologist Roger Badham said: “The gale-force winds and low-pressure system is moving to the south of Auckland tonight. With the race start delayed by the RNZYS officials by 24 hours, the nature of the race has changed considerably.

“A more varied wind regime is now expected with both upwind and downwind conditions ranging from eight to 18 knots. CAMPER should reach Fiji on Thursday and from there, the team plans to do some testing in the south-east trades winds by heading west and using the downwind conditions varying from 15 to 25 knots.

“It is then planned to come south again during the following week and use some pre-frontal north-northwest conditions for more downwind testing.”

Skipper Chris Nicholson said today now the team could achieve both of the original goals: go racing and tick off a considerable amount of the down-wind sail testing programme.

“We are very happy that we can race. It will be a good test for the boat and crew. Then we can settle down to do some serious testing on the way home.”

You guys really can talk some sh*t sometimes.

This is a professional team who have already proven themselves with a lap of the country as a warm up.

A team who have worked 7 days a week for months that I have seen. A team who i suspect could do with a bit of a warm break and a couple of days off before a quick lap of the world, but have a few thousand miles of testing to get in over the next weeks and they get bagged for a bit of rearranging?

Cynical? I'd say delusional!

I read this as it being all about wind direction, and the need for downwind sailing for testing purposes. Other than that, wind strength or rain had nothing to do with it. I'm assuming these guys know a thing or two about weather.

You guys really can talk some sh*t sometimes.

Eh? Speak for yourself, Bull.

All I did was post an ETNZ press release.

They would look pretty amateur if they broke something sailing in conditions they don't need to test in.

As stated they are trying to win the Volvo race.

Still be awesome to see how they go against the other red one.

Guest Rocket

No they wouldn't theyd look bloody amateur if they break something in the real race when they could have tested it before.

As they have said in press releases, they have done all the upwind testing they need to do.

Just because you didn't see it Rocket, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Archived