Self Lauching Spinnaker poles

nz moth

Hi, I have a Noelex 22 which I sail short handed most of the time so I am looking at putting two self launching spinnaker poles on it. Does anyone have a system they use that may work for me?

I am also want to put in a spinnaker chute so I don't have to leave the cockpit.

If anyone has any advise on how to do this it would be great!

With the complexities of the self launching pole it may be easier to either look at a decent autohelm or else look down the road of an articulating bowsprit with asymmetrical kites? Far less ropes and stuff to go wrong?

My kite pole would be 5mins worth of tweaking away from being self-launching, it's knot that hard or tricky. Nor is a shute..... I hope. I've build one for my machine and it'll be going on in the re tweak. Had a couple of plays with a demo version and it worked sweet as. Certainly makes single handing easy peasy.

Is there anyway you could draw a picture so I can see how it is set up?

The type I am wanting is a a two line set. When you pull out your pole the sheets are already attached and then all you have to do is pull up the kite.

I'd say w44vi has the best plan. My set up is similar to a Sunbursts but to be honest the Sunburst are more refined than my semi-bodgy set-up.

Having the sheets attached to mine as it is now would be a pain in the botty. I am hoping to refine it soonish.

I'll see if I can get a photo or 2 to give you an idea though.

The self launching poles are quite common on TY's like 22's upto Ross 780's and are slightly quicker gybeing than end for end. Bascially the pole retracts along the boom via bungy and you have a block where the pole normally clips into with a line to pull the pole out. But you still have to clip the pole onto the sheet tho so haveing two of them that you and being able to do everything from the cockpit you would need another line on each one out to the end of the pole and onto the sheet. And you would also need two pole topping lifts. Quite do able.

you can do it if you have two poles that it will automatically go to the end sheet on the sail just requires alot of rope and some time to set up and a few blocks is really hard to explain.

But pretty much the way it works is line is attached to the sheet at the sail it then runs back to the pole and inside the outboard end of the pole you need a nice ferrule end on the pole easy to machine up and runs right to the inboard end it then comes out and exit box in the side of the pole and runs forward again to a block mount on the mast at the normal spin ring height then down to the deck and back to a cleat.

the pole is pulled back by a bungy system in the boom which attaches to the inboard end of the pole.

so you pull this line and it pulls the pole out untill the inboard end is at the mast and the sail is at the out board end.

hope this helps but it does work but you do really need to poles

Archived