Is this a repair or strip and cut up

ab1974

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-m ... 306640.htm

The rig, deck gear and engine would be worth a few $$. Would have been good to have got this when I started the refit of my yacht. I looked at it when it was for sale 18 months ago. Was a tidy yacht but just light and felt tippy.

Would this be an easy fix or will someone buy it, strip it out take off the lead and cut up the hull and dump it?

Although it looks like not much damage the keel is at a very strange angle, I suspect the entire floors and stringers would have to be redone, saying that the rig looks in good order but to fix it up would suit someone with good boat building skills or you would run the risk of spending more than it's worth.

Its been written off for a reason... And unless your in the game i cant imagine you getting that fixed cheap.

For some reason that boat has always had trouble selling too so once its fixed you may be stuck with a boat everyone knows has been repaired after a write off and doesnt want?

Whats it worth when in one piece?

Was more for discussion purposes - not interested myself.

However, when I was rebuilding my E7.9 there were probably a whole number of items that could have been 'salvaged' and put into a new hull. Sounds like the responses above confirm that it is probably NOT cost economical to repair and it will be someone that wants the bits that may buy it.

Hypothetically if it went for

It's a nice little keelboat.

Dickson Marine have the moulds and are trying to sell the new boats.

For this one I'd suggest a new centreboard/lift keel or a new liner from Dicksons and a new kell from them and a rudder from the mould.

Sorry to see this boat end up like that. I have the exact boat from the same molds Rocket was the keeler version and in 2006 new owners Zenith boats in Whangarei bought the molds and produced INXS with outboard and Team Zenith with 20hp diesel trailer able yachts. Dixon marine now have the molds and so far they have Dixie.

Thus answering the original question: three bidders were willing to pay the kind of cash that indicates they see it as a repair. The challenge now is to get it finished and back in the water without blowing over the market value. Good on 'em, I wish them well. :thumbup:

mast, sails, engine, saildrive, cordage, winches, keel bulb, electronics (if any) and deck gear adds up to well over 10k - a bargain if you've got a boat project to put them on.

Archived