PENALTY TURNS - WHICH WAY IS BEST ?

PaulR

:?: :?:

The Rules 44.2 states:

". . . by promptly making the required number of turns in the same direction, each turn including one tack and one gybe."

So as long as a turn has both a gybe and a tack, it is a turn. Fine but . . .

DOES THE ORDER MATTER :?:

WHICH IS BEST :?: A tack then gybe OR gybe then tack :?:

Turning to PORT or Starboard :?:

DOES THE ORDER DEPEND UPON YOUR POINT OF SAIL, to windward or running :?:

WHICH ORDER IS FASTEST :?: (different to best in some cases)

DOES THE ORDER DEPEND UPON THE TYPE OF BOAT, mono, cat, trimaran or Foilers :?:

Is there a BETTER ORDER for TWO turns than ONE turn :?:

So many questions, so little time to decide let alone execute.

but if you tack first you come out of the turn with more speed??? I think if your going up wind then tack first, but if your going downwind then it might be easier to do the gybe first :?

In most case if on the wind a Tack first then into a gybe with a chance of a good speed build coming back up to on the wind is best. (this may change if you decide after the penalty you want to be going the other way anyway eg. On lay line etc!)

If down wind it really depends on you set up at the time and how quickly you can do a controlled turn without causing more issues.

Still haven't figured out how to do it in a proa.

Squidly - just change hulls & turn around - 2 x 360* - on each hull - hang on tight - don't fall off & it's all done??? Yes??? - Ciao, james

I tried gybing once (got caught out with the gear on the wrong side, and thought I could fix it with a quick gybe), it almost got to flat off but really didn't want to go any further, then I broke the rudder trying to push it.

Mr Squid

Surely that's not right what you say on the front page about not letting proas race.

I thought Multihullers were a fair lot of sailors (well you are one yourself, are you not, a proa is a wind driven vessel with more than one hull) but I am fast becoming delusioned??? :wtf:

Please tell me someone that this statement is incorrect. :shifty:

Rob Denney, where are you mate, did you know this?

:?: :?:

The Rules 44.2 states:

". . . by promptly making the required number of turns in the same direction, each turn including one tack and one gybe."

So as long as a turn has both a gybe and a tack, it is a turn. Fine but . . .

DOES THE ORDER MATTER :?:

WHICH IS BEST :?: A tack then gybe OR gybe then tack :?:

Turning to PORT or Starboard :?:

DOES THE ORDER DEPEND UPON YOUR POINT OF SAIL, to windward or running :?:

WHICH ORDER IS FASTEST :?: (different to best in some cases)

DOES THE ORDER DEPEND UPON THE TYPE OF BOAT, mono, cat, trimaran or Foilers :?:

Is there a BETTER ORDER for TWO turns than ONE turn :?:

So many questions, so little time to decide let alone execute.

G'day Paul. Can't resist - the reminder of - chain of command.

Captain issues 'sailing master' with instructions to carry out the correct procedures as required by the 'helms-person'.

They do correct manouvers & successfully. All's as it sould be & good.

Captain's instructions aren't carried out in accordance with the instructions as issued. All's not as it should be - dereliction of duty - to carry out assigned task in accordance with instructions as isssued.

Result: All crew - failing in their assigned tasks - are each to buy 2 rounds of drinks for all the crew & officers every nite until the next race.

Three problems solved: reduced expenses by non offending crew.

Offending crew are correctly repremanded.

Said 'sailing-master' + 'helms-person' will not make same mistake again - due to unnexpected out of pocket expense incured.

What's your problem. All decissions resolved - in the affirmative, he!

Maybe I shouldn't sign this - as there are more crew #'s than Captains, hey. Ciao, signed - what's 'e's name.

PS Sorry for any type-o's - must get a head start off through the paddock(s). jj

Always:

Gybe first when going to leeward.

As you are going into the gybe fast, the boat is going to naturally want to round up, giving you the momentum to go straight through the tack without getting stuck in irons.

Tack first when going to windward.

This avoids a messy bearaway, throwing away distance. Get the tack done, then just carry through into the gybe.

There are other reasons, but this is off the top of my head.

Archived