placement of jib-sheet camcleats

I am wanting to use my jib when sailing alone in lighter winds. So I went out and bought a pair or camcleats and was about to put them on my boat when I thought "hang on, where should they go?"

Although it seems natural to put a camcleat on the same side as the corresponding sheet (i.e., the lee side), that means that I can't reach it to adjust the jib. So, should I have the camcleat on the opposite side (i.e., have the sheet crossing the boat)? Or do I have to resort to stopping everytime I want to adjust the jib?

What set up are people using?

In dinghies they often have a cam cleat attached to the jib sheet lead/block so that the sheet is cleated immediately after it exits the fairlead or block. This means that the sheet is cleated on the leeward side, however, the sheet can be pulled on tighter (pulls sheet thru the cleat) without any hassles and to ease the sheet you flick thet sheet upward out of the cleat, over-ease slightly and then pull it in to get it back in the cleat. Simple system, works in dinghy racing .... this or something similar may work for you.

You may want to try ONE longer sheet with both ends tied to the headsail, a continous sheet. That way the sheet is always available on the windward side as well, and you can flick it out of the leeward cam. Although the sheet is longer, it is not as long as the two sheets in total.

The key thing is to be sure that the natural angle of the jib sheet, when held in hand, is clear of the cleat, but close enough to that line so that you can pull the sheet into the cleat without having to move your body position. See the photo below - putting weight on the jib sheet uncleats it, but the angle is such that the sheet can be pulled downwards by the crew when on trapeze or stacking. (On the trapeze it sometimes requires use of a foot, or a helping hand from the helmsman). It is more important that it is easy to uncleat than easy to cleat - though both should be easy. (This is not the my boat, but is the setup I modeled mine on).

On your boat, you jib fairlead will be on the side deck. the same arrangement can be achieved by using a shaped spacer beneath the jib fairlead.

baylislarsonbarbhaul.jpg[/url]

[/img]

Thanks Candyman and Muzza.

If haven't installed the camcleats yet -- still thinking about how to do it. But I now know all the things I should be considering thanks to the advice given. The problem I have is that there is a fairly high rail running around the cockpit, which means I am going to have to raise the camcleats (and fairlead?) so that they clear the rail, but without adversely affecting the aesthetics of the boat (i.e., I am crap at woodwork). But it shouldn't be a major problem.

You can make out the rail below. The fairlead is mounted outside the rail.

100_1712.JPG

You may wish to consider a swivel cam, that "lifts" the sheet above the rail.

Possibly something like Ronstan RF67

http://www.ronstan.com/marine/product.asp?ProdNo=RF67

Check out other brands as well.

The size of your jib is small, so the loads won't be that high so the fairlead option may be satisfactory and cheaper than a block version.

I don't know if the swivel factor would foul your mainsheet etc.

BEST ADVICE: See what other boats of the same design have done and talk to them first, then similar sized boats.

Archived