Stainless vs Stainless

I got these from Sailutions last week, same size, same everything, same load test, different stainless. Be hard for your average funter to tell the difference , till it all turned pear shaped.

post-3043-141887188137.jpg

Was the straight Pin used in the same hole? and a new replacement bent??

The difference ~could~ be between 304 and 316 I imagine. 304 is easier to machine and often Bolts and other parts like these area made from 304, but it tends to be a little softer. It is not that the SST is inferior.

Wow it looks like a simple ballpoint but it has absolutely rooted that right-hand pin.

Don't point the bloody thing at me! Another threat to airport security. :shifty:

There sure is Stainless and then there is Stainless.

We have Italian 316 and Asian 316. One can/does rust (to a varying degree) and the other won't.

Haven't done super in depth testing on them both. Only load and metal content testing. Haven't gone as far as a Ballpoint test yet :lol:

It's not the ballpoint, it's the massive strength of the guy behind it :lol:

I'm waiting to hear from Eddie, but I'm pretty sure he told me they were advertised as being the same thing.

They have different heads on them, that would suggest they come from different places even if from the same company on the shelf. Most company's are gona buy those things in bulk from the cheapest manufacturer. Surface quality could affect something like that, you could find a small crack on the surface that originated from rough machining (talking pretty small here). Could be an inclusion in the metal, happens all the time from low quality foundrys. Could just be the the manufacture lied about their quality control. Who knows. Guy on the cnc machine/in the foundry could've had a hard night the night before.

Squid

a quick test. Take a good magnet and see if the bent one is more magnetic. this will indicate a higher iron content. One of the main components of ss is chromium. if the levels of this are at proper 316 levels it will not be magnetic (within reason) There is also two types of 316 being 316 and 316L. the later is a free machining grade and its mechanical properties are slightly less but not by a huge amount. This however is not usually available in nz under 1" diameter.

hope this helps a little bit.

also two types of 316 being 316 and 316L. the later is a free machining grade and its mechanical properties are slightly less but not by a huge amount.

316 and 316L are identical in every way apart from L meaning it has a low carbon content. 316 is typicaly 0.08% and L is 0.03%. This allows better carbon precipitaion control during welding and means the welds are less suseptible to corrosion.

L = Low Carbon

H = High Carbon

Carbon does affect Tensile strength and the L grades tends to be slightly easier to machine as a result.

All 300 series SST's are Austinetic steels. That means they have a crystaline structure and it is that structure that makes it none magnetic. It has nothing to do with the Iron content of the steel. Nickle and Manganese are the two essential additives that create the particular crystal structure and the rate of cooling of the steel controls the formation of the cyrstal into two different shapes. Austenite is a cube shape and Martensite is a kind of distorted version of that cube.

Magnetic SST's are called Ferric SST.

The only real way you can test 316/L from anything else is a special acid test that is a mixture of Nitric Acid and some other I forget. If it is not 316, the acid causes a stain on the surface. 316/L will not stain.

Machinability comes from the addition of sulphur and sometimes Phosphor to steels. However the different 300's each have differences in machinability due to the amounts of the very hard metal additives like Cromium and whether the metal machine hardens or not. Some SST's are more suseptible to machine hardening than others.

It's not the ballpoint, it's the massive strength of the guy behind it :lol:

I'm waiting to hear from Eddie, but I'm pretty sure he told me they were advertised as being the same thing.

but its bent the wrong way. :wink:

Archived