Volvo Ocean Race 2011

From Volvo HQ

Volvo Ocean Race replied: Don't forget you can watch it live with all the commentary, analysis, virtual eye etc at http://www.volvooceanrace.com

Marshy - Thanks a bloody lot for that. SUPA GREAT racing. It's just on 2325 here in FNQ. Much better racing coverage than the AC 45's - at least on my computer. Jmaes

There is no promotional stuff on the TVNZ website about them running a live stream.

It's hard enough finding anything about the Volvo Ocean Race there.

When I saw this hread I sent m email to Murray Needham (have the addy from the AC 45 debacle), he sent back that they would have it, otherwise, yes I would not have known that either.

I watched the coverage on the Volvo site and it worked just fine!

Interesting drag race off the line with no major winner in boat speed.

Bugger of a hole that CAMPER sailed into at the second mark.

And how cool was Team Sanya nailing Telefonica on the finish! GO THE KIWIS! :D

There is no promotional stuff on the TVNZ website about them running a live stream.

It's hard enough finding anything about the Volvo Ocean Race there.

When I saw this hread I sent m email to Murray Needham (have the addy from the AC 45 debacle), he sent back that they would have it, otherwise, yes I would not have known that either.

I couldnt find any link our live stream on their site last night when I got home. Is there any chance that you could get him to email you the link if there is a coverage block on any of the other port races?

TVNZ highlights and I guess introduction and build up for the Volvo Ocean race is on at 2:30pm I think (you might want to double check). If you couldn't catch it live last night or are unable to watch the highlights from TVNZ heres a little break down of what happened. Ill create a different thread for pictures as well so it is easier to load and read the forum updates (thanks to whoever suggested for the coastal :) )

Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing delivered an early blow to their rivals picking up the first points of the Volvo Ocean Race 2011-12 with a comprehensive win in the inaugural in-port race. PUMA Ocean Racing powered by BERG were second, ahead of CAMPER Emirates Team New Zealand in third. Team Sanya edged Groupama sailing team for fourth, with Team Telefónica coming home sixth. Immediately on finishing, Groupama informed the race committee they were making a protest against CAMPER. Details of the protest were not immediately available.(does anyone know the outcome and what it was about?)

“It’s a great win, I feel fantastic,” said Walker. “It’s a great start for Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing. I don’t think it means too much but I said before we left the dock that whoever wins today’s race can go home with a spring in their step and look forward to the week ahead.”

The in-port race marked the start of the epic 39,000 nautical mile round the world race, tipped to be the most hotly contested edition in the event´s 38-year history. And after opening their account with a crucial win, Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing will go into the first offshore leg with a maximum six points and a psychological advantage. In-port races take place in all 10 Host Ports around the world, testing the crews’ skills at close-quarters manoeuvres and tactics. More than 20 per cent of all points are up for grabs in the in-port racing, which could prove vital when overall positions are decided. The races also provide a show for the millions of people who will watch the race worldwide. This is going to be awesome in Auckland if there is wind, and we should really do something for it, any ideas?

Strong winds and pelting rain greeted the teams as they left the dock in Alicante, Spain, but by the time the start gun fired at 1400 local time (1200 UTC-GMT) the weather cleared with a 10-15-knot breeze blowing down the race course. An incredibly close start saw Abu Dhabi, CAMPER and Groupama lined up and equally matched, each looking for the slight advantage over their rivals. After a weak start, Telefónica and Sanya were left playing catch up.

As the yachts approached the first mark it was PUMA´s Mar Mostro with the inside track but sailing’s ‘rules of the road’ meant Ken Read’s team had to give way to Ian Walker’s crew and the United Arab Emirates’ first ever entry in the Volvo Ocean Race took the lead. Slick crew work from Walker’s team saw them extend their lead during leg two. A nightmare rounding at the second mark saw CAMPER slip from second to fifth as they sailed into a not so lovely hole.

A dwindling breeze in Alicante Bay confounded the situation on the water as the teams struggled to keep their boats moving. The instability of the breeze led to the race committee shortening the course, and with a substantial lead over their opponents, victory was assured for Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing. With the race’s first ever Emirati, 22-year-old Adil Khalid, waving the flag of the United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing’s yacht Azzam crossed the line to claim the first points of the Volvo Ocean Race 2011-12. Walker said a slick sail change at the second mark was the key moment. “We had practised it in training and we pulled it off,” he said. “It was a credit to everyone.”

The six teams now have one week to make the final tweaks to their yachts before they set off from Alicante bound for Cape Town, South Africa, the first of nine offshore legs. Leg one starts at 1300 UTC (1400 local time) on November 5 and is expected to take around 21 days to complete.

Points and times after the first harbour race. What were your thoughts on the race of those that watched it? has anyone got an advantage or lack of? and most importantly who are you going for.

1. Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing / 53 minutes 44 seconds/ 6

2. Puma Ocean Racing powered by BERG / 1 hour 07:58 / 5

3. CAMPER with Emirates Team New Zealand / 1:10:11 / 4

4. Team Sanya / 1:10:43 / 3

5. Groupama sailing team / 1:11:11 / 2

6. Team Telefónica / 1:12:08 / 1

Full replay here:

http://new.livestream.com/channels/11/videos/5249

I stayed up and watched it. Hooked up computer to TV and had it playing in HD with no streaming issues. Shame the race was a bit of a lottery with the patchy wind.

The funniest part was the sole Emirati guy on Abu Dhabi running around crazily like they had won the entire race. Looked to me that the rest of the crew weren't so impressed with his over the top antics.

Immediately on finishing, Groupama informed the race committee they were making a protest against CAMPER. Details of the protest were not immediately available.(does anyone know the outcome and what it was about?)

More info on the Protest that was thrown out on another thread here viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17885

Full replay here:

http://new.livestream.com/channels/11/videos/5249

I stayed up and watched it. Hooked up computer to TV and had it playing in HD with no streaming issues. Shame the race was a bit of a lottery with the patchy wind.

The funniest part was the sole Emirati guy on Abu Dhabi running around crazily like they had won the entire race. Looked to me that the rest of the crew weren't so impressed with his over the top antics.

What can you expect from a CR. (camel rider)

Why wouldn't he give it beans?

He's the sole Emirati on the first Emirati entry in the Volvo ocean race that just smashed 'em bro in thwe first in port race. Jeez, if he's not allowed to get a bit excited about that it's a sad group of sailors in a sad over-conservative environment.

I thought the rest of the crew were happy to let him have a bit of buzz. I think Abu Dhabi (the nation/sponsor as opposed to the syndicate/boat) would have been thrilled to see the flag being waved and the champagne being sprayed about. Great mileage and exactly what their involvement in this and the other campaigns is designed to show case... Emirati sailors on top on the world stage. I reckon if he's just been sitting there quietly smiling etc. there might have been a bit of disaapointment from the backers.

Some more insights into the first habour race by Groupama. their report is very differnt from volvos opening line stating that the race gave abu Dhabi an advantage.

Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing delivered an early blow to their rivals picking up the first points of the Volvo Ocean Race 2011-12 with a comprehensive win in the inaugural in-port race.

The first race for the six yachts competing in the Volvo Ocean Race 2011-12: a rather laborious ten-mile course with conditions becoming increasingly light and fluky throughout the hour-long race. Abu Dhabi really stood out and Groupama 4, in fifth, showed that she doesn't have a lot to be envious of in relation to her rivals!

You had to want to win it as well as being both determined and lucky... voracious and opportunistic... Indeed, this first `In-Port' race didn't really reveal much about the potential of the boats and the abilities of the teams in the Volvo Ocean Race (VOR). In fact, the breeze wasn't as steady as forecast and the torrential rain which flooded the port of Alicante just short of midday, gave way to overcast, drizzly skies, swept by a light north-westerly breeze of less than ten knots as the starting gun fired...

The crew of Groupama 4 opted to skim past the Committee boat, positioning itself downwind of the fleet as the six VOR-70s were setting off on port tack to hunt down a bit more pressure offshore. With the New Zealanders, just a few metres to windward, Franck Cammas was holding his position perfectly when Abu Dhabi and Puma positioned themselves slightly further offshore. After a long port tack lasting over five minutes without any notable changes in the hierarchy due to the boats performing virtually identically upwind, Abu Dhabi was the first to launch into her tack change to hunt down the first course mark at the foot of the Santa Barbara cliffs, as the wind gradually dropped to a 5-7 knot north-westerly...

Franck Cammas and his tactician Laurent Pagès opted to distance themselves from the fleet so as to hook onto slightly more pressure offshore and guarantee that they could make the mark rounding without having to put in a double tack change as they did yesterday... Indeed Ian Walker (Abu Dhabi) only just managed to round the mark, followed by Chris Nicholson (Camper TNZ) and Ken Read (Puma), Groupama 4 having conceded five boat lengths as the immense spinnaker was hoisted. At that point the wind had become very light, disturbed by the Spanish landscape, so the top four boats were just about able to eke out an average of eight knots virtually beam on to the wind.

At the leeward mark, the hierarchy seemed to have established since the Emirate leader boasted a hundred metre lead over the New Zealanders, they themselves maintaining the same lead over the Americans and French... However the decidedly flighty wind shuffled things up again as it became lighter and lighter. The mark rounding was very tight behind Ian Walker, who was still leading as he powered off again under Code 0 leaving his three direct rivals continuing to make headway under asymmetric spinnaker! This sail choice cost the Kiwis dearly as they were unable to get air into their sail and found themselves carried off downwind of Puma and Groupama 4...

The decision to opt for the Code 0 (a kind of very large genoa, attached to the bowsprit) initially paid off as Abu Dhabi extended their lead, while Puma and Groupama 4's consistent performance got them past Camper TNZ, the New Zealanders then getting overtaken by Sanya and Telefonica! However, the Spanish race zone certainly wasn't proving easy to predict as a succession of wind holes followed, with light puffs of air dropping down the mountainsides. Within metres of each other, two boats had a completely different breeze! Puma thus overtook Abu Dhabi in a matter of minutes, despite the latter boasting a lead of 200 metres... And for Groupama 4, everything turned on its head in a matter of seconds as the trailing trio hit a light breeze and devoured their deficit in no time!

Further upset came at the final course mark as the Americans took the top of the leaderboard ahead of the Emirate team... in the space of a tickle of breeze! However, with a maximum of just three knots of wind, a reshuffling of the cards was still a possibility. And though Ian Walker walked off with a deserved first victory after a good start and an excellent strategy downwind, the rest of the standing was more reminiscent of a lottery draw than a sports event: the results decided on a mere puff of breeze at the right moment! The final home straight was surreal to say the least as the leader powered over the line like a bullet in twelve knots of wind and a lead of over a mile, while its pursuers were still hunting down a zest of air at the final course mark...

Not for nothing...?

As such it took a further fifteen minutes to discover which of the five pursuers had come off best. The Americans on Puma ultimately took second whilst third place was snatched by the New Zealanders on Camper, followed by the Chinese on Sanya, the French on Groupama 4 and the Spaniards on Telefonica, who performed their penalty on the line... No lessons to be drawn from this chaotic and hazardous race then, other than the fact that Ian Walker and his Emirate crew have managed to earn themselves a few points. However, during the previous two editions, those who were best in the first `In-Port' race have never won the Volvo Ocean Race and those who did least well in this show-course really stood out at the finish! It remains to be seen if this is premonitory.

Of note is the reason why they protesed camper that got thrown out despite haveing a witness to back them up.

Of note is the fact that Groupama sailing team is today protesting Camper for using a system enabling them to cant the mast astern, which is strictly forbidden in the VOR race rules. This protest follows on from those lodged by Abu Dhabi, Puma and Telefonica on the same matter, without success.

In this latest process, Groupama sailing team has the benefit of Telefonica as a witness.

Archived