The Boats

The Volvo open 70's can be a very technical boat if you dont know much about them or the terminology.

For those of you that dont know much about boats, heres a break down for you of what makes up one of the 70 footers.

post-10945-141887190228.jpg

Mainsail

Flown behind the mast, the mainsail is the primary sail on the boat and the only one permanently in

use.

Jibs/Genoas

Two sailing terms for the sails flown at the front of the boat when the boat is sailing towards the wind.

Each boat might carry several different sizes and weights of these sails to be used in different wind

strengths and angles.

Gennaker

The sailing term for the sails used when the wind is coming from the side of the boat. Each boat

might carry several different sizes and weights of these sails to be used in different wind strengths

and angles.

Spinnakers

These are the sails used when the wind is coming from behind the boat. Each boat might carry

several different sizes and weights of these sails to be used in different wind strengths and angles.

Mast

The towering vertical carbon tube from which all the boat’s sails are flown. Sometimes also referred

to as “the rig”.

Boom

A horizontal carbon tube which attaches the bottom edge of the mainsail to the mast and enables the

crew to control the mainsail via the mainsheet.

Shrouds

A fixed matrix of strong support lines running from the deck to the top of the mast to help keep it

upright.

Spreaders

Pairs of strong carbon struts projecting sideways from the mast and connected to the shrouds to

add extra support to the mast.

Runners

Strong adjustable support lines running from the stern of the boat to the mast to help keep it upright.

Stern

The sailing term for the back of the boat.

Bow

The sailing term for the front of the boat.

Bowsprit

A carbon strut projecting from the bow of the boat from which sails are flown.

Guardrails

A wire safety “fence” around the boat to prevent equipment and sailors being washed overboard.

Pulpit

A strong carbon frame at the bow of the boat to which the guardrails are attached.

Pushpits

Strong carbon frames on each corner of the stern of the boat to which the guardrails are attached.

Foredeck

The sailing term for the work surface between the mast and the bow.Cockpit

A large slightly recessed area in the back half of the boat, the Cockpit is the main work area of the

boat where all of the ropes used to hoist and trim the sails are fed to.

Daggerboards

Two long fins on either side of the boat which can be projected through the hull and into the water to

help stop the boat sliding sideways.

Canting Keel

A huge underwater lead counterweight (Bulb) on the end of a long steel blade (Fin) which can be

swung (canted) to either side of the boat to balance it against the force of the wind.

Communications Dome

A large watertight container located on the back of the boat containing the cluster of antennas used

to transmit and receive data from the boat.

Navigation Station

The area of the boat below decks containing the bank of computers and other technology used by

the Navigator.

Pedestal Winches

Located in the Cockpit, Pedestal Winches are large mechanical devices comprising two armoperated rotating levers and sophisticated of gears.

Sheets

In the world of sailing, the ropes used to control the sails are called “sheets.” For example the

“mainsheet” is used to control the mainsail, “jib sheets” control the jib, there are “genoa sheets” for

the genoa and “spinnaker sheets” for the spinnaker.

Halyards

The sailing terms for the long ropes which are used to hoist the boat’s sails. Halyards run from the

Cockpit, inside the mast to the top and back down to the deck.

Some more info about the boats

The Volvo Open 70 yacht design is the world’s fastest monohull. It is a state-of-the-art craft

incorporating leading edge performance technology and safety. During the Volvo Ocean Race

2005-06, the Dutch entry, ABN AMRO TWO, designed by Juan Kouyoumdjian, smashed the

World Sailing Speed Record for distance covered by a monohull within 24 hours when they

achieved 562.96 nautical miles.

In the next edition in 2008-09, Ericsson 4, the overall winner, skippered by Torben Grael (BRA),

broke record during Leg 1 from Alicante to Cape Town, on another Juan Kouyoumdjian

designed Volvo Open 70. The team sailed 596.6nm (equivalent to 1104.9 km) in one day, at an

average speed of 24.85 knots. Ericsson 4’s elapsed time for the 37,000 nm 2008-09 race was 127 days, 7 hours, 46 minutes and 17 seconds.

The Volvo Open 70s are able to cant the entire keel 40 degrees to the windward side. This

produces tremendous stability but allows the boat to only weigh 14,500kg.

Stability of the Volvo Open 70 is further enhanced by the use of composite rigging, rather than

stainless steel rods, which reduces the weight of the rig.

Volvo Open 70 Specifications

Length overall 21.5m (70′)

Beam 5.7m (18′9")

Draft 4.5m (14′9)

Mainsail area 175m² (1883,7 ft²)

Spinnaker area 500m² (5381,9 ft²)

Mast height 31.5m (103,3 ft)

Weight overall 14,500kg (14.5 tonnes)

Height of the mast: 31.5m or 103.3ft above water

Overall boat length: 21.5m or 70ft

The mast: 31.5m or 103.3ft above water

The height of the mast is as tall as Christ the Redeemer, in Rio de Janerio, Brazil,

(excluding pedestal).

Boat length: 21.5m or 70ft

The overall boat length is 1m more than two double decker buses.

The overall boat length is 1m taller than the height of the Great Sphinx of Giza.

Space:

Two metres of space per person (equivalent to living in a phone box made of carbon

fibre).

Speed:

The Volvo Open 70 can exceed speeds of 40 knots (45,98mph/ 74kmh).

The Volvo Open 70 is faster than a greyhound.

Sails:

Largest spinnaker on a Volvo Open 70 is 500 m²

The largest spinnaker onboard is the same as two tennis courts playing area.Number of sails per boat for the race:

17 sails and two In-Port spinnakers, with the exception of storm sails.

Number of sails per Leg:

7 sails and 3 storm sails.

Cameras:

Seven on board including five fixed – able to look forwards, backwards and through 360

degrees, one looking below deck, two handheld operated by the onboard Media Crew

Member.

The keel and bulb weigh a maximum of 7,400kg

The keel and bulb weigh the same as 7 rhinos

The keel and bulb weigh the same as 2 African elephants

The counterweight produced by the canting keel equates to 70 people sitting on the

side of the boat.

Volvo Open 70 weighs:

A total of 14.5 tonnes, with a 4.5 metre draft and 5.7 metre beam. It can reach speeds of

more than 40 knots during the race.

The Volvo Open 70 weighs the same as 3 African elephants

The Volvo Open 70 weighs the same as 6 great white sharks

The hull and rigging:

Of a Volvo Open 70 equal the weight of 125 red kangaroos, the largest marsupials on

the planet or 32 Eastern Lowland gorillas, the largest primates on the planet.

Why have they compared weights of parts of the boats to things that nobody has any idea about??

The weight of the hull and rig is equal to the weight of 125 red kangaroos or 32 eastern lowland gorillas????? Sure, I'll nip out the back and stack 32 eastern lowland gorillas on top of one another and lift it to see how heavy that is. :wtf: Yeah, right!!

What's more interesting to me is the fatter bow approach on Abu Dhabi, I think like that Mini 6.5 scow the idea is to increase the prismatic coefficient on a shallow hull which gives a great reaching boat. I wonder if this boat will be a bit of a breakthrough just like the ABN Juan K design the first time round. Still, I'm hoping that Camper has the goods.

Can anyone tell me how they manage the canting keel in regards to the engine?? I know it is a diesel engine with hydraulics but they cant be running the engine all the time. Is it battery operated and engine just works as a generator?? Do they just start the engine when its needed??

Can anyone tell me how they manage the canting keel in regards to the engine?? I know it is a diesel engine with hydraulics but they cant be running the engine all the time. Is it battery operated and engine just works as a generator?? Do they just start the engine when its needed??

Its hydraulic so im guessing they have a bit of reserve and if they are short tacking i rekon they probably just drop it down before tacking, but yeah the engines just start when needed, probably when the pressure drops below a preset level id guess

What's more interesting to me is the fatter bow approach on Abu Dhabi, I think like that Mini 6.5 scow the idea is to increase the prismatic coefficient on a shallow hull which gives a great reaching boat. I wonder if this boat will be a bit of a breakthrough just like the ABN Juan K design the first time round. Still, I'm hoping that Camper has the goods.

Richard & John B -- John - all the rigging is 'string-stuff' - doesn't weigh very much at all.

Richard - me thinks you should very carefully check-ou the bows on the other 'wo-wo's - am sure you'll see that Abu Dhabi isn't the only one with a 'fat-bow'. Take a real close look & you'll see it. Ciao, james

Archived