Tips for cruising with a baby...?

Absolution

When babies we kept the D's in a chilly bin, with the lid off as tempting on the odd occasion as it was to put it back on. Worked on the theory, which was checked and proved OK, that if the boat sunk the chilly and contents would float, bit like sleeping in a liferaft but with better insulation. Worked damn well but then they grew up and the trouble started :?

Yeah, used nappies = stinky plus. Sealed bucket is a must.

I went in twice - once when I slipped and let go, and a second time when a big swell hit us side on and the water came up to my head and sucked me away. But I knew my life jacket would keep me floating while dad turned around and came back for a man over board drill.

My earliest unplanned swim was rowing out to the boat in the dingy with my dad and my uncle and several crates of beer when i was about 8 months old. Freeboard was 'marginal' and it all went pear shaped and the dinghy swamped. Mum was yelling at dad and my uncle "Grab the baby!". Their theory was I would float but crates of beer wouldn't. Turned out they were right. Also turned out that being right in such situations doesn't always count for much.

Looks like those early lessons have stuck with you. :lol: :wave:

RPNYC I fell in the p!ss in 2011 Club. (viewtopic.php?f=28&t=15812)

In 2005 we were on Occam's Razor in the Med with our then 15 month old daughter. It was great calling into different ports in Turkey and the Greek Islands and showing her what life is all about. Now we have three little girls, 7, 5 and 9 months and this summer we will be up cruising round the Hauraki Gulf. We have learnt that kids can only manage half day sails and then need time to stop and play, so stop and have a lay day full of playing and fun and number two thing to do is invest in a dvd player for when they've just had enough and so have you, have a movie night! So, if you see a cat loaded up with kyaks, surf ski, dingy, surfboard, etc, 3 girls, one dog and one blond and me, that will be us on 2 To Tango. If you don't like noise don't park next to us!!!!

post-10443-141887192537.jpg

post-10443-141887192539.jpg

Hey hamish,

we also have a moveable batch.....ir the boat....

these days it is a bit more loaded down than previous years.....but the holidays are a lot more fun!!

all the stuff mentioned above is good...if your wife wants a chat some time...my wife Nicola is a very chatty person.

my boys are now 2and 3 months and 5 and 2 months... and have been holidaysing on board at barrie and BOI since 3 months old.

below are some recent pics of last weekend. yes they were quite happy in 25-30 knots onboard sailing out to rangi.

the part about traveling when they are asleep is pertinant as our boys are VERY energenetic.... don';t know where they get that from ..

we usally finish the afternoon at the beach about 5pm....back depending on where we are ...back to boat....dinner as we get underway...

then put them down about 1830 ...aiming to be home at westhaven about 2100 so they are well asleep while we pack the boat and just trolley them up to the car..normally astill asleep and thenn in to their beds at home....

its quite nice sailing around the gulf at dark, no launch waves to spill my rum while the auto helm is on.

when the y are so young 5 months ....tis easy as they can't move....ie they stay where you put them down, hardest is about 18months to 2.5 years old

if you can get aphil and teds cot, with zip on top ...and side loading for when they are a little older, i recommend it as you can see our active little ones could climb out over the top...!!

anyway be great to catch up over xmas hldays ....think well be at barrrier this year...

post-2848-141887192586.jpg

post-2848-141887192588.jpg

post-2848-14188719259.jpg

post-2848-141887192593.jpg

post-2848-141887192595.jpg

post-2848-141887192596.jpg

Mission accomplished. We managed to squeeze in a trip over to Te Kouma and back last week. Thanks for all of the good advice. The Bumbo works really well and is in regular use at home now. I put in a couple of eye bolts to tie the car seat in. Emily was quite happy in there for the sailing legs.

We had pretty reasonable weather and everything went well although wifey was paying close attention to some more "cruising" oriented boats and now has a wish list that includes an anchor winch, furling head sails and bigger water tanks.

emily_sailing_1.jpg

emily_sailing_2.jpg

Mission accomplished. We managed to squeeze in a trip over to Te Kouma and back last week. Thanks for all of the good advice. The Bumbo works really well and is in regular use at home now. I put in a couple of eye bolts to tie the car seat in. Emily was quite happy in there for the sailing legs.

We had pretty reasonable weather and everything went well although wifey was paying close attention to some more "cruising" oriented boats and now has a wish list that includes an anchor winch, furling head sails and bigger water tanks.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Be warned, that's a splippery slope, avoid hanging out too much with other better kitted out cruising boats.... otherwise it's not long until discussions about water tanks evolve into "What about a water-maker?"

Be warned, that's a splippery slope, avoid hanging out too much with other better kitted out cruising boats.... otherwise it's not long until discussions about water tanks evolve into "What about a water-maker?"

Too late... she's figured that one out too. That means more power will be required i.e more batteries, solar and/or wind generation.... the list goes on. No room for all of that on a Young 11. I think we'll have to sell the house to fund a decent cruising boat soon.... hmmm that's not a bad idea!

Ooooo, I think that's a bit of stretch to say not much room on a Young 11..... I'm sure a competent handyman would find plenty of real estate to fill up with cruising gadgets, at a price (and weight) of course.

There's a Y11 with a water maker already.

Hasn't had a good run so far, I think it's a case of it not been run enough.

The swearing was very amusing on Boxing day when it got fired up just to start p!ssing (salty) water out the back of the panel.

Followed by quite a touching Father/son moment when they teamed together to pull it all apart to find the corroded part in question.

Luckily we decided to head back to AKL before the weather got too crappy so didn't actually need to replenish the water after all.

Ooooo, I think that's a bit of stretch to say not much room on a Young 11..... I'm sure a competent handyman would find plenty of real estate to fill up with cruising gadgets, at a price (and weight) of course.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! Shhhhh! :shh:

glad you enjoyed the holiday with the family.....

we onOracle got away for 4 days in the (sunny) weather window... spent the rest of te time working in the office or working on the house..

really enjoyed the 4 days we had though....and yes tere are always more bits you can add for cruising...we have a furler aleady...and carry 300l water...(makes good ballast when racing...) hot water is probably next on the list according to the wife.

be good to do the next RNI and have hot shower every day down the west coast...!!!

not much more cruising for us this year though ...concentrating on bulding the house...(another story altogether)... but if you see Oracle out...itll prolly have 2 little girls onboard...my 2 handed mates (bob)...daughters and wife are using the boat this summer to keep her active..

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! Shhhhh! :shh:

I would think one taste of RO water would be enough to put her off getting a watermaker. It certainly put me off. :sick:

That surprises me BB. Not that I've actually tried water from a RO watermaker, the reviews I've read rave about the water quality. Any idea what type of RO watermaker it was? How long had the water been in the tank etc??

Archived