AC San Diego coverage

MarkMT

Don't think anyone has posted this yet... you're not going to like it - http://www.sail-world.com/index.cfm?nid=90624&go=093544

The America’s Cup Event Authority has confirmed that coverage of the America’s Cup World Series will again be blocked in New Zealand for a period of a week.

In a schedule given to Sail-World, from Television New Zealand, the state owned America’s Cup rights broadcaster in New Zealand stated they will be only be publicly broadcasting one day’s racing live, and that some of the remaining races would be available live via one of their website outlets.

I had thought this was sorted. Would be interested to know what ETNZ's view is. It's not going to do much for their investment.

My buddies here in the US are psyched up for all the sailing we are going to be seeing this week... facebook posts about it etc... anticipation is huge. The fact that the NZ public miss out is just crazy.

Thanks, please do... on second reading the article seems a little ambiguous... "some of the remaining races would be available live on one of their website outlets" Hard to know exactly what that means.

Have just had a quick look around the TVNZ site. Looks like this is the page to go to for details of what coverage is going to be shown where for both AC & VOR. http://tvnz.co.nz/sailing-news

Regarding the AC, TVNZ says

Full coverage of all Match Races and Fleet races will be available Ondemand as well as highlights from each race.
but doesn't mention anything about live coverage except that the final fleet race will be shown live on TV One.

Perhaps one tactic will be to bombard the other ETNZ sponsors with questions and coverage requests.

Further if anyone comes asking for donations, I know my answer will be along the lines of: "KNOT if I KCAN'T See it"

BTW who are the other sponsors :?: Anybody know the CEO's, senior managers emails private phone numbers so I can ask why at 2am the coverage is knot live. I'm sure Mrs CEO will have meaningful words, more powerful than I could generate.

Looks all ok to me. Not sure what your problem is. Can watch the races streamed live as per the program and can also watch them later as well as a highlights package at on demand. Get used to the fact tvnz bought the rights to the coverage so you will have to watch it live through their medium. it is a big step up from last time. Link to tvnz page here! :thumbup: The only thing is nz websites wont be able to embed you tube footage into their website for kiwis to see until after 7 days.

http://tvnz.co.nz/sailing-news/america- ... nz-4340409

I can't watch it on the Web darn it. But why on earth are TVNZ not putting it to air. Even if it's not a rating puller, there has to be some time slot that it would be a better puller than the dribble already on.

Likely cost Wheels. To put it on broadcast TV they have to edit it to the length of a time slot. The increase (or not) of viewers isn't likely to justify the cost of people doing this (it wouldn't be a 10 min job). One benefit of on demand internet is you don't have to worry about time and schedules.

I am going to pass on watching any of the Americas Cup World Series coverage.

I am disinclined to ever visit TVNZ's website after:

( a ) the way the handled Plymouth

( b ) the way they lied about it

( c ) their attitude

There's other top class yachting events on that I am interested in. They alienated me last time, and I just can't be bothered using their website.

I can find out what is happening if I really want to (which i don't think I do any more), via sailing anarchy, ETNZ's blog, etc. A real pity, but the damage is done for me... the event, the brand, and ETNZ's value are forever tarnished. Shortsighted, unprofessional, ill thought out approaches to covering events in the internet age are costly TVNZ. Not to mention lying about what you are doing...

ETNZ, you should think about who you sign up as sponsors.

why 2am?

Because that is when the sun shines sometimes in Europe, including Plymouth UK.

Yes we are now off to San Diego next but I've yet to work out what the NZ times will be.

It's not just the start, but also the finish that is often interesting. Hence 2am often happens IRL.

The highlights last time were flashy and action packed, aimed at general public for a 120 second maximum audience retention ability.

Often the full coverage shows what happens over the whole race, which I and others find more interesting than the flash bang gone coverage.

Yes sometimes paint does dry faster, especially that 2 pot stuff. However the video from Plymouth of the full race vs 120 highlights would almost believe they were totally different events.

I enjoy the lay lines changing and then the different tacks gaining or losing. There seems to be a lot more skill in the chess board action of yachting than in THUGby, resetting scrums, run 1m and fall on the ground stuff. It's not like all the THUGby players all put their left foot down at the same instance, in time and follow through with the next step. More like a group of talented individuals all doing their own thing, more or less going the same way, but often running or standing around in circles. Certainly some are more talented and have better ball skills than the others, but it does get bogged down a lot. I did watch most games on TV, but also happy others (including D1 & D2) enjoyed paying for their seats.

Yachting can also be boring, watching somebody sail over the horizon or on the same tack all day. However the racing in Plymouth was NOT like that. Quick tacks to cover / gain advantages, with the onscreen laylines, gain loss measuring a real help to uderstanding what is happening.

Time for an after rave settling rum!! :thumbup:

Hi David,

This is the information I supplied to Sail World, ACEA and ETNZ regarding the coverage being provided by TVNZ during the San Diego ACWS regatta.

As you can see from this we are screening full coverage of all the racing days (starting Thurs Nov 17 NZT) live on the TVNZ website as well as making the full coverage plus the highlights available for catch up viewing ondemand as soon as possible afterwards. TV One will screen full coverage from the final Fleet race on Mon Nov 21 as well as the overall regatta highlights the same night.

Broadcast – TV One

Mon Nov 21 - Final Fleet Race 12.30pm

Mon Nov 21 - Regatta Highlights 11pm

Online – www.tvnz.co.nz

Thurs Nov 17 - Fleet Racing/Speed Trials – streamed live on TVNZ website, starting at 10am

Fri Nov 18 - Match Racing – streamed live on TVNZ website, starting at 10am

Sat Nov 19 - Match Racing – streamed live on TVNZ website, starting at 10am

Sun Nov 20 - Match Racing – streamed live on TVNZ website, starting at 10am

Mon Nov 21 - Fleet Race – streamed live on TVNZ website, starting at 10.30am

Full coverage from each day’s racing plus daily highlights programmes will be placed Ondemand (www.tvnzondemand.co.nz) as soon as possible following live streaming or delivery.

I hope this helps those who might be confused by any misinformation being published on the matter.

Regards

Murray

Murray Needham

General Manager

TVNZ Sport

That's good to hear. Sorry for the false alarm. Mind you, sounds like they aren't going to cover the racing this weekend? Will be interesting to see if that's accessible on youtube. Here's the complete San Diego schedule.

Regards

Murray

Murray Needham

General Manager

TVNZ Sport

That's the same Murray Needham who blatantly lied about the blocking of the coverage from Plymouth. How is he still employed by TVNZ? I really don't get that...

FYI, I'm watching live video from San Diego right now at http://www.youtube.com/user/AmericasCup#p/l/2hXVUrZVkOg . Is that viewable in NZ?

At the moment it's just vision from the dock with no sound. Racing doesn't start for another hour or so.

Morning Mark. SR here. Far North Queensland, Australia. It's 0715 h Eastern Australian Standard time. I've got go good picture - live - on 'youtube' but like you - no sound - DAMN but at least a picie. Where are you? Enjoy everybody. Sure hope it's live into NZ Ciao, james

Looks like no one gets live coverage today. I think the the view of the dock is about all we're going to get. This is posted in the AC YouTube comments

AmericasCup (1 day ago)@rbawbo1 Live streaming will start on Nov 16 from AC World Series San Diego right here on the America's Cup channel
and this on the AC website here (http://www.americascup.com/en/Latest/Fe ... San-Diego/)
Beginning with the championship races from November 16-20, our YouTube channel will have live and on-demand streaming coverage of all the racing.

Archived