Snap shackles for kite sheets?

RushMan

Do you guys use one continuous sheet for the gennaker or two separate sheets.

My sheets are slightly too short for outside gybes, so thinking of getting KM to splice a 1.5m piece lightweight line on to the end of the sheets.

I could keep them seperate or get the new thin line spliced to each existing sheet (thus joining them) with a loop in the middle for either a clip or dogbone.

Thought appreciated.

or just slip the cover back (if its a spetcra core) you only need cover where it goes on the winch so if you mark that next time the gennaker is up then measure it and slip the cover back to there, the excess cover is your tail.

Good idea B00B00. Unfortunately sheets aren't spectra.

Have asked KM to splice a lightweight tail onto the existing sheets and keep them separate. Have also asked him to splice a soft shackle onto the end of the tail.

Any reason why I wouldn't use the soft shackle on the gennaker sheets?? Just not that keen on having clips on the gennaker when gybing and if it is flogging with bowman on foredeck.

I'm not sure I even need clips on the spinnaker sheets, but could always attach clips to the gennaker sheets using the soft shackle if need be. Again we normally use bowlines and end for end the pole (E7.9) and haven't found a need to release the guy in a hurry...... yet

I am looking at using a pair of Wichard quick release snap shackles for spinnaker sheet attachement on an A sail.

Has anyone had issues with these. I used them previously, attached directly to the clew and found they occassionally unlocked if the kite was flogged. I am told that if you have a strop on the clew of an A sail this is not a problem.

Any thoughts or experiences?

May have come up with a solution without using tape on the existing fittings.

Cricket bat grips. They fit over the shackle, can be rolled back to unclip, then rolled up to cover the quick release mechanism.

Fitted last week but we only had the gennaker up so no feedback yet on if it works or how long the grip will last.

I see the strops in use but am nervous that they turn the clips into missiles. sort of like strops on mainsheet blocks (very 70/80s retro). I don't really get the strop thing...

Good clips generally don't come undone with a bit of a flog. We flapped a kite bigtime one day (at least 10 minutes) and ntg came off.

Gibb shackles for the kite sheets now on the boat, one needs two hands to operate so complaint has been filed in the suggestion box.

Gib shackle on the halyard, less than 12 months old, let go just after the hoist at the top mark in the first BMW race today, very frustrating after getting there first. Our on board analysis came up with catching on a mast fitting and flicking open or jamming the shackle in the mast head sheave and creating an angle that the shackle didn't like.

The other option is that our bowman (me) needs to hand in his union card and be moved back in the boat to adventure land. My body is currently thinking that might be a good idea.

Taped the clips alll weekend and didnt have any problems.

Have found in the past though if you dont feed clews out over lifes lines they can catch in the hoist.

Go the mighty Spoofhead! Bathtub on steroids!

Gibb shackle on the halyard, less than 12 months old, let go just after the hoist at the top mark

To clarify, "just after" - the head of the kite was at the masthead. No problems with the lifelines during the first stages of hoisting, nor during the various flogs further down the course.

Gibb shackle on the halyard, less than 12 months old, let go just after the hoist at the top mark

To clarify, "just after" - the head of the kite was at the masthead. No problems with the lifelines during the first stages of hoisting, nor during the various flogs further down the course.

So On top of the Gibb Clip needs to be a plastic parrel Bead.

That stops the snap shackle getting stuck at the head at the wrong angle, i.e. the Plastic Bead hits the top first.

Alternatively, you're sure the clip is able to close completely? (i.e. fine if the kite has a ring at the head but some of the pressed eyelets are just too bulky to allow those mini-clips to properly close). In those situations, it is either the impact of hitting the sheave, or the kite filling (both of which happen around the same time) that crack it loose.

Archived