Snap shackles for kite sheets?

RushMan

Last two races the sheet has worked it's way off the clew of the kite/gennaker.

Tonight's entertainment was approaching the drop zone for the gybe mark at Rangitoto. :thumbdown:

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Were you the boat that dropped its stick :?:

OK

The one with the pretty purple pennant at the masthead :?:

What clips do you currently have? Make, Size, Model, Part No etc?

Gibb or Tylaska or on the smaller boats the proper Wichard ones are OK, But avoid the ones from Burnsco etc as they are Chinese knock offs and they always seem to let go...

3rd for the bowline. Can't spike it of course so maybe not ideal for a bigger yacht but for us, but providing the crew remember how to tie one, can't fail and is much better on the paintwork as well as the head!

The main reason we don't use a bowline with the spinnaker is the time it would take to tie them on. With a lazy sheet setup there would need to be four bowlines and sometimes the skipper doesn't give the crew enough time to do that :oops:

Gibb clips seem like the logical option. Maybe TimW can provide them at a price which isn't completely eye watering.

getting quiker hamish good race last night

if its windy we tape the clips - have had our fair shair of experience with loosing them

one time at band camp of mahia is island in RNI 11 we lost both clips off the gennaker clew after a wipeout in 30knts - had to go forward and get something onto tack so we could drag into the cockpit was a little funny watching ian trying to get out onto the prod downhill doing 17knts got totally soaked

after that little excursion found it just easier to tape them - no probs since

Still not as quick uphill as we should be Sharpie but we're working on that.

We have one long sheet for the genni with the clip in the middle so when it went last night the guys pulled the prod back in and did an excellent job of dropping the sail from the tack.

Yip have to agree booger and def on the smaller boats and w/l racing on bigger (just turn the sheets around) thats the plan but we run snap shackles for ease - quicker to cut the tape than undo a tight knot aound the cans and two handed

its the bowmans issue anyway if you yell loud enough it gets done with pace :D

The main reason we don't use a bowline with the spinnaker is the time it would take to tie them on. With a lazy sheet setup there would need to be four bowlines and sometimes the skipper doesn't give the crew enough time to do that :oops:

Gibb clips seem like the logical option. Maybe TimW can provide them at a price which isn't completely eye watering.

Sounds like a night mare on the bow of your boat with kite sheets and lazy sheets and then another sheet. If you are using asymetric kite you don't need lazy sheets for that.

If you are using lazy sheets I would take the kite sheets and lazy sheets to Knot me and get a sheet and lazy sheet spliced into a tail then it is only one bowline per corner and a nice lightweight tail that won't hold the kite down in light airs.

Sounds like a night mare on the bow of your boat with kite sheets and lazy sheets and then another sheet.

Yes it is. I'd quite like to bin the sym-kites completely and that would remove 6 lines when you include the tweakers. If our prod rotated it might be feasible.

If you are using lazy sheets I would take the kite sheets and lazy sheets to Knot me and get a sheet and lazy sheet spliced into a tail then it is only one bowline per corner and a nice lightweight tail that won't hold the kite down in light airs.

I had thought about that but I'm not sure that it would really work. The lazy sheet setup only works if you can transfer the load completely from the brace line to the new sheet as you start the gybe. The pole would have to be clipped on to the spliced in tail (otherwise the pole wouldn't be at the clew) so the load would never really come off the pole when you switch sheets. Or did you mean something else?

Can always splice them onto the same Tylaska clip though so you only have to buy two?

Alot of boats have the Spin sheets spliced to clips and then the lazy sheets/braces are tied to the bail of the same snap shackle so if there is a major twist up you can still undo the brace. but when it comes time to change kites etc there are only two clips to undo?

Even with a rotating prod its still pretty marginal Fineline - still 50:50 Symmetrical/Asymmetrical and you really need the options if racing. Depends on the polars of the yacht a lot too.

Asymmetrics don't always work as well with lots of prod rotation and the more you rotate the more the geometry and compression loading on the hinge gets all out of shape unless its really light when it matters less.

The rotating prod is awesome for cruising tho... no pole on board, no spinnakers taking up space. Just a Genny and a Code 0 and lots of time to run angles.

Archived