Helicopter crash in viaduct

chic014

This video shows it from a different angle, right under the chopper.

Looks pretty obvious to me what caused the trouble - the cable attached to the top of the tower wasn't significantly longer than the height of the tower. So when the chopper tried to land with the cable still attached to the chopper and the top of the tower it wasn't out of the arc of the rotor blades.

http://www.3news.co.nz/VIDEO-Auckland-c ... fault.aspx

Still cant understand the need for a helicopter? Surely it could be done alot easier with a crane and a cage? - Guess thats just a riggers viewpoint, what would i know about working at heights :-P

The guys that got the pilot out were legends. Very fast. Could have been really bad. Heaps of Jet fuel and hot turbine exhausts.. aaggggghhh. Good on them I say. Certainly looks like the main rotors hit the cable that was still hanging under the chopper...

Some of the new footage shows a bloke pulling said cable, when you pull a cable attached to something it goes tight and all the vectors change....got a feeling someone might be feeling pretty stink right now.

Yeah tricky one, if one of the 'helpers' on the ground caused the problem that takes it away from the pilot.

But like smithy said it's amazing there was no fire and great how quickly the lads on the ground dived back in to get him out. A cool response all around.

Archived