Replacements for Navman. Nasa?

I have yet to find anyone using the NASA, but I have never heard negative comments around either. But it's also worth checking out the new range of Cruzpro instruments. And being locally made, they should be easy to get service. He has been around long enough now to know he ain't a Pan flash.

I have just been through the process of replacing instruments.

Before you decide, consider the whole process - including installation and wiring. The cheapest solution would probably be some Advansea displays to replace the failed Navman ones.

In my boat I had to replace one through hull transducer with another, the wiring conduit in the mast was too small and clogged with bits of old cable to run the cable for the new wind sensor. The other cabling runs behind all sorts of wall and ceiling panels that are glued in place. The alternative is under the floor, but connectors won't go through the limber holes. In the end I have got it sorted out (or at least I believe I have and it seems to be talking to each other), but it took some cost to sort out the through hull transducer and the mast (which was out of the boat anyway) and a couple of afternoons last week to run the new cables through the limber holes and connect it all up.

In the end I have an NMEA 2000 system with an Airmar PB200 wind sensor, an Airmar tri ducer (speed, depth and water temp) and a Furuno display. This display is inside the boat, but in future will be on a panel to pivot into the companion way. I also retained my Navman depth (which is an "s series" and still works) on the existing outside instrument pod as a backup. I have an NMEA 0183 branch from the NMEA2000 network using the old wiring back to my existing outside instrument pod. I will add a dedicated NMEA 0183 display there, suited particularly to night sailing (at the moment I'm thinking of making this myself).

My previous boat had Nasa log/depth. It was working ok for about 6 months, then it started acting up. I got a replacement unit as warranty which lasted the same 6 months before that unit got water inside it and went dead. The front seal was damaged, probably the sun and too much heat. I would not recommend that brand. I think they are made cheap and they won't last long.

we have 3 multi display showing

6 lines of info.

usually boatspeed and depth on #1

apparent wind angle and app wind

speed on #2

true wind angle and speed on #3

we change any display to heading

bearing,vmg etc

the system is so good cos we can

easily display what we need

Suss the new (ish) Raymarine and/or B&G and/or Garmin gear. Way more flexible in screen display and they have gone away from the old school limited space/number size/display options thing. Also far easier to read and you can have lots of pretty colours :lol:

After some serious instrument sussing over the last few months I do see that sort of gear/options as the way of the future. Just so much more flexible it's a no brainer really.

The quickest easiest cheapest way is probably what Bogan says, go Advansea and just swap the heads.

I have just been through the process of replacing instruments.

Before you decide, consider the whole process - including installation and wiring. The cheapest solution would probably be some Advansea displays to replace the failed Navman ones.

Archived