Galvanisers?

Clipper

I have used perry metal protection in Avondale. Excellent for large items they sand blasted and dipped my 6m trailer and drawbar.

Picked it up and dropped it off to me at Musick Point in Howick too all for around $800

I asked the same question here about a year ago. I went to East Tamaki Galvanisers and I recommend that place. I felt that they knew what they were doing. They could have had better service and a nicer place but I only wanted good results and a fair price and that is what I got. After a year in Fiji the anchor is still very good and has years to go.

Theres a place on Neilson (near Edinburgh St) who did my anchor chain. Acid stripped for $20 cash (at some place on Church St... which I think has since moved) and they re galvd for $25. That was a couple of years back. Quarter of the price of replacing it!

East Tamiki have the ability of shaking the chain after it has been galved, to ensure it has free links.

But please understand, Galvanising chain softens it. A very expensive hardened chain is worth doing, although you will lose about 15% of it's strenght (it's a little more complex than that) but NEVER regalv a Chinese chain. They are not heat treated to begin with and chances are, the Chain would have stretched over time and it certainly will continue to. About 30 to 35% of the cost of making chain is in heat treating at the end of the making part and Chinese chain has that part left out. Hence why it is cheap. But it stretches as a result.

I've used Perry's in Avondale several times and so far all good.

Just dropped off another piece to them this week to be done so here's hopeing. They start galvaniseing again next week so depending on the size and how many others have been may take another week.

East Tamiki have the ability of shaking the chain after it has been galved, to ensure it has free links.

But please understand, Galvanising chain softens it. A very expensive hardened chain is worth doing, although you will lose about 15% of it's strenght (it's a little more complex than that) but NEVER regalv a Chinese chain. They are not heat treated to begin with and chances are, the Chain would have stretched over time and it certainly will continue to. About 30 to 35% of the cost of making chain is in heat treating at the end of the making part and Chinese chain has that part left out. Hence why it is cheap. But it stretches as a result.

I need to re-galv my chain. How can I tell what I have? Chinese or other?

CSP Coatings are in Penrose/Ellerslie, they do all sorts of galvanising and zinc coatings we use them for work for galvanizing gantries etc, seem to have a lot of knowledge and a big setup there.

Not sure if they are cheap as for work we have to use them due to the size of their baths.

http://www.cspcoatings.co.nz

I need to re-galv my chain. How can I tell what I have? Chinese or other?

Wheels isn't quite correct in his 'Never' regalv statement although most of the good ones won't do 8mm or smaller any more. It's more that usually the chain goes off so fast it's rooted so no point in regalving it. Also a couple of years back some Judge in a Akl Court was pissed stupid from lunch or just a total moron and made an horrendously bizarre ruling and a galvaniser got screwed over. So many just won't go near it again as the risk is too high. Basically a punter brought a seriously rooted chain in for a regalv. The gavaniser said 'Mate that's totally buggered, why bother get new', the punter said no worries do it anyway so the galvaniser reluctantly did. The chain broke shortly after and the punter screwed the galvaniser for a large sum of money, hence the nervousness in the industry about worn or chinese chains.

We use East Tamaki and sometimes Steel masters as they have spinners so you don't end up with a steel oval reinforced lump of zinc. And just quietly many galvanisers send their chains to East Tam or Steelies for that very reason. East Tamaki is owned by a yachtie who will refuse to galvanise chain that's buggered. He does know his stuff so knows good from bad and is straight up, he will tell you if he sees any possible issues.

Some galvanisers will regalv anything, buggered or knot. We've seen some shockers from one or 2, inc names mentioned on this thread. They maybe good at most things but hopeless on stuff that moves like chains.

How do you tell what you have got? Sadly it's knot always that easy unless you have looked at a lot. Sadly most find out when it rusts in 12 months or won't fit in the winch when you go to retrieve in the morning as it got longer over night.

Look for stamps on the chain. If you see 'PWB', 'PWB-L', 'MC', 'MCIT' or ACCO, they are all good chains. There is a little good stuff with just a 'L' on it but there is also some sh*t with that as well. 'CMP' is china, they say Engineered in Canada but it's made in Nigbo. Generally most Chinese isn't stamped, but the odd it can be. Generally all good stuff is stamped but again knot always especially 8mm and smaller. Stamps like 'G4', 'G40' used to be good and many still are but the lads in the east know that and are now doing it also.

If it's 2 years old and rusty as hell that is typically china and it can be a shorter time frame. There are occasions where a good chain can do that as well but it's knot massively common.

You can look at the weld and if it looks like it's been 'pushed' together, China. No reputable manufacturers do that. But then some chinese is now being made on Wafios machines (good ones) so it can look OK but then it's still most likely the usually low strength Grade 20 dodgy steel.

If you are a 34ft launch running 10mm and it stretched 2mm per link while you were anchored in Waiheke in 20-25kt winds the 2nd time you used it, China. There is absolutely no show of a 34ft stretching a good 10mm chain bar maybe Hurricane Katrina and then I'm still in 2 minds if it could. That's a true story by the way and knot the only one like it, they are becoming more common.

Sometimes it's obvious, sometimes it needs a trained eye.

Fusion, if you know PM me where you brought it and when, I should be able to tell you what it's likely to be.

And don't forget as mentioned above, each time you regalv you chain you will lose a little strength. How much depends on how good the galvaniser is, a bad one can lose you a lot. Hence after you have regalved the 2nd time it's probably best to get it load checked, which isn't that hard. If you have chinese made the chances you'll do it twice is highly unlikely. Had a dude in mid last year who reckoned he had regalved his chain 7 times :shock: We load checked a bit and he brought some new stuff. The when new 5000kg load had dropped to 2100kg.

So regalv anywhere but if it's chain I'd seriously suggest East Tamaki (in East Tamaki) or Steelmasters (Penrose). Those 2 do seem to do the best job. Avon Industries in Whangarei also do good work. Don't know about south of Akl sorry.

Costs?? Approx $3.50 per kilo of metal being regalved. More if it has to be blasted or played with more 1st.

Generally speaking -

If you have a 6mm chain that's $3 odd per mt. New good stuff around $8-9 and even though many are selling chinese at the same price it can be got for around $5 if you shop at the right place/s.

7mm - regalv $3.50mt. New around $10 for good and as low as $5-6 for china.

8mm - regalve $4.90mt. New good around $11-12, china $7

10mm - reglav $8.10mt. New good around $16-17, china $14-15. No one does the 10mm China at a realistic price as those who do price in a non-super profit fashion are knot brave enough to let people use it on their boats so don't sell it for that reason. But it would be sub $10

The 'new good' price is for Maggi from Italy. The only other good chains in NZ is from either PWB or Serifini both made in Aussie. The Aussie chains are very good but economies of scale means the Maggi Italian does have a price advantage at the moment, in some sizes by quite a lot. There is also some Indian here, knot a lot but it's trickling in, and it is good stuff. The Indian is generally bigger stuff though on superboats and some is also holding the Alk Harbour Nav marks in place. All the other chains are from china and vary wildly in their goodness or lack of. The bigger the oat the more under anchored you are so need to be more aware of what you have. A 6-8mt boat can use 75% of the chinese on the market quite safely, the bigger the boat gets the smaller that % becomes.

Numbers ball parked and current as of at right now. She's pretty fluid out there so prices could change quite quick, generally upwards but knot always.

So regalvaining your chain is around 1/2 the cost of new good stuff and sadly a lot of chinese but re-galvanising and chinese should be pretty much the same price per mt.

Don't get me wrong, knot all chinese is crap, just no one in NZ wants to pay the extra for that good stuff, it would make the price the same as the Italian or Aussie. Chain making is one of the worlds old manufactured products so nothing has to be engineered, it's all been done decades ago, and the manufacturing process is highly automated with next to no labour inputs so in theory if everyone is using the same high grade raw steel and doing all the chain making processes on good machines, they should all cost pretty much the same....... but they sure don't at the importer level, there are big differences.

Disclaimer - We sell Italian, Aussie and some Chinese... along with some Swedish, German, Indian and some from the US. We will tell you all the ins and outs of each prior to purchase. An informed punter is a safe punter.

And it was such a short question from Fusion :lol: :lol:

Gee it was a simple question.

It was purchased from the guys at the to of Hillside Rd about 6+ years ago when I down graded from 100m of 12mm to 30m of 10mm, it has been through a lot. Multiple raft ups of 2 or more attached. Enthusiastic guests sleeping on the foredeck :-)

I have a S/S roller on the bow on a slight angle that induces a little twist in the chain. Last summer I had a brain wave and placed a 40lt plastic bin in the anchor locker with the rode neatly laid around it and the chain fell in the bin nicely with out clumping. I was so impressed with my achievement the bin stayed. Leap forward and six months wintering on the poles. Then the look on my face the first time I anchor this season as I pay out a long brown snake. The bin now has some holes drilled in it to drain. ( an oversight ) Its been dragged around the bottom quiet a bit this summer and looks clean again but it dose need a birthday.

I'd say the time frame alone suggests it's a good chain. 6 years for a chinese is like 110 for a person, can be done but it's rather unusual.

Quality Equipment is the place Fusion. An unusual shopping spot for chain, they do next to none generally. They do make rope, mostly mussel farm stuff and that nasty shitty 'Silver' of which all get shipped to the Aussie market as NZers are dumb enough to use it. It's polyprops evil cuzzy.

Yes anchor lockers need to drain and have airflow if possible. We see a lot that are sealed quite tight which makes a little Sauna and many with drains 20-40mm above the bottom so there is always some water in there. Steel sitting in 99% salt laden moisture generally isn't good for long life expectancy. And bugger being a winch motor, most of which also live in that environment. When you have a chance just open your locker and let everything dry out a bit, the lockers contents will love you longer that way.

If you have a high drain find a way of lifting the chain out of it if you can... or lower the drain. One of those plastic clip together floor tile things can work damn well. They are 20-25mm thick and have lots of holes for drainage and airflow.

Regalv rather than replace would be my call Mr F. Cost approx $200 at a guess.

And it is a very comfortable foredeck you have Fusion. I must say the room service was AAA rated indeed and it had a view to die for, which is handy as death, or the desire to, did cross someone's mind a few minutes after coming too. Knot to sure about the James Nilsson pillow though but hey it worked. It was a long hard sail home :? See you there this year?? We're sailing a classic Logan scow bowed 18fter which could be fun as long as it doesn't snap in 2. She is rather brittle from age.

I said never regalv Chinese chain, not Chain in general and I am assuming Anchor chain. Perhaps I should say, I wouldn'ty bother regalving Chinese Chain. I really do not see the poiint in regalving the stuff.

Archived