Dinghy wheels

Fogg

A couple of seasons ago I bought some of those balck fold-down wheels from Burnsco for the dinghy and after a very short space of time the springs when rusty and dropped out. Anyone else had this problem and worked out a fix that lasts?

http://www.burnsco.co.nz/Products_28.aspx?CategoryId=179&ProductId=33111

I bought the grey ones from Burnsco about 5 years ago and have had no problems. They have been used so much the tread is wearing out :-)

Have you talked to Burnsco about them? It may be a known problem.

Clipper - after all these years on these forums I'd have thought by now that you know I'm not much of a DIY kinds guy and have neither the time, inclination or skills do my own fixes - hence unfortunately I'm a GSETID kind person (work it out)!

Farrari - think I'll ask them. Maybe it's as simple a replacing the missing rusty spirngs with stainless ones. Have you noticed if yours are rusty or not?

It was the very end of the spring - the bit that curls around and hooks through the plastic to keep the spring located - that rusted off, resulting in the rest of the spring falling out. The bit that died was tiny but the consequences were big!

Guest Crafty 1
It was the very end of the spring - the bit that curls around and hooks through the plastic to keep the spring located - that rusted off, resulting in the rest of the spring falling out. The bit that died was tiny but the consequences were big!

Just checked mine and they are fine. (4 years old)

Take them back and ask for an exchange or refund. Yours are obviously faulty :? .

Under the fair trading act would you say 2 seasons is fair wear and tear for this type of product?

When I say 2 seasons I was away (abroad) for one of them so I would guess the total number of times I have deployed the wheels and towed the dinghy up the beach with them might be 5-6 times max.

Under the fair trading act would you say 2 seasons is fair wear and tear for this type of product?

The Consumer Guarantees Act say's it must be fit for a particular purpose and durable and last for a reasonable time. I think it's failed on both accounts

I would take it back, I have always found bunsco very good with returns, mind you with the amount I have "invested" over the last few years :think:

Think I'll just pop in and ask if they can give me some replacement springs which I can hopefully fit in a few moments. "Taking it back" would involve removing the damn things from the dinghy which is a bit of hassle considering I put some silicon seal around them etc.

Guest Crafty 1
Think I'll just pop in and ask if they can give me some replacement springs which I can hopefully fit in a few moments. "Taking it back" would involve removing the damn things from the dinghy which is a bit of hassle considering I put some silicon seal around them etc.

Take photo's or get them to pop out and look. (they love getting out of the shop for a while) :thumbup:

Update.

Took the rusty old springs back to Burnsco and they immediately handed me replacements - apparently the manufacturer had admitted there was a faulty batch a couple of years ago and supplied them with a bunch of spares for replacements. So good outcome.

But it reminded me of the old days of Navman instruments ... "Yes, its a known fault, here's a replacement screen/unit"...

Archived