Auckland Stopover

Man ..what a compressed schedule ... :shock:

Its going to be hard for thee crews. Chris was joking around yesterday that some of the crew were just going to stay on the boat and in there wet weather gear as it would be easier than eating the massive amounts of burger fuel as they did straight after the race.

Yeah I reckon this next leg is gonna be a game-changer. Could see some more of the sort of structural problems that Groupama experienced with their bow but just got away with (this time).

And the seeds will have been largely sown by the time they cross the start line on Sunday cos their fortunes will be hugely dependent on the shore prep done this week.

well now. Taking a step back to review.

4 out of 6 boats have serious failures so far = 66.6666666% in my simple maths.

Certainly some storms have been encountered in the legs so far but the Southern Ocean from NZ to Cape Horn has knot earned it's reputation for being nice and gentle, fair wins and smooth seas.

The amount of water shown in the videos being thrown aft "through" the cockpit leaves me worried about these boats, light weights going at very fast speeds have little time to avoid anything.

I fear a disaster soon. :thumbdown:

There. I feel a lot better now, to have spoken out BEFORE rather than trying to be wise AFTER.

Hindsight is 100% accurate.

I concur with the Ogre's seasonal analysis. March + 3 weeks to Cape Horn is getting rather late in the season, to use the wise antartic and artic phraseology.

When is mid-winter in Antartica :?:

The first question that was asked of knut (ceo of volvo ocean racing)on Thursday was if he would extend the stop over and his reply was that they would not consider extending the stop over. Considering the work that needs to be done to some of the boats it would be great if they could extend it, but they wont. Hopefully one of them doesnt have a major disaster in the southern ocean. Great comment paul.

21st of June is dead centre of Winter. Right now the Sun will be on the Horizon. Another 3 weeks will have it below and it will be getting rather Darkish around the Horn.

In the in port races apparently all you punters have to stay out side a barrier created by Supertanker 34s, should be interesting. Who would win in a nudge off between a Hollow log 34 and a volvo 70? :think: spose it depends who hits who?

The first question that was asked of knut (ceo of volvo ocean racing)on Thursday was if he would extend the stop over and his reply was that they would not consider extending the stop over. Considering the work that needs to be done to some of the boats it would be great if they could extend it, but they wont. Hopefully one of them doesnt have a major disaster in the southern ocean. Great comment paul.

Apparently another reason is that the Super City will not pay for anymore time either. how much did they pay for the 7 days?

Archived