Handheld Radios

I'm looking at getting a couple of extra handheld radios to be kept attached to each crew member. I already have a decent handheld (Icom IC-M33) for general use but want to equip all crew with a personal handheld. Having said that, I dont want to spend a fortune and at $400 a pop, the top of the line Icoms are not really an option.

There are some much cheaper handhelds available that have a maximum output of 2W or 3W (I could get four of them for the same price as the Icom M33!). Obviously there will be a performance price to pay, but I am wondering just how much of a price.........in practical terms, is there a noticeable difference in performance with a handheld maximum power output of 2 or 3 Watts as compared to a maximum output of 5 Watts?

There is, but only if you are trying to use it over a large distance, as in triggering a repeater station. No matter what power, VHF is pretty much line of sight. I am assuming the idea is for protection should someone fall in ???? If that is the case, the 5W or 1W would still work over the same line of sigh distance when transmitting from waterlevel.

If a person is in the water and wanting to mayday call to Maritime radio, then the extra power mnay possibly help, but that is a hard one to say. Maritimes transmitters are up high. Hence why if you here a converstation on Ch16, you often hear Maritime radios side of the disccussion only. The other guy is out of line of sight to you.

What you probably need to look for is ease of use, you don't need flashy gadgets especially for an emergency communication device and ofcourse it will need to be waterpoof, as in completely dunk proof.

As a FYI, I tend to stay on 1W so don't blast boats to close to me and as it's all usually short range it works fine. I have called into CG from Little barrier and Passage Rock on 1W but I suspect that's likely to be tainted with a smidgen of good luck.

So I'd be thinking if you are only planing trans Hauraki Gulf like calls a 2 or 3Watter would be fine.

Besides 5W is enough to cook your head if you use it a lot, get a 2W and you can chat twice as long....... before you start dribbling out the side of your mouth :)

There was a summer special on the Icom M23 at $349. As our cheapie we also carry the GME GX620. small cheap, 3W, splash proof.

I don't know if you came into Safety at Sea or not.

No, I didn't. (Only because you don't have a branch in Christchurch). Even $349 for the ICOM would have been too much (for what I want to spend) though.

try 2 tin cans and a bit of string

I'v been looking for the same thing (cheap immersible vhf).

Trademe vendor "mrmarineltd" had uniden MHSO50 floating radio for $145 + about $10 delivery, which seemed reasonable. He seems to be a dealer so I'm guessing he has more.

Rob

Not completely sure why you want everyone on board to have a radio but if you only want to be able to talk to the guys on the front of the boat without yelling at them (for example), then those cheap dick smith UHF radios would do the job, wouldnt they?

Certainly much cheaper than marine VHF and less likely to transmitt your crew secrets whisperings to everyone else in the fleet!!

Timb

Not completely sure why you want everyone on board to have a radio but if you only want to be able to talk to the guys on the front of the boat without yelling at them (for example), then those cheap dick smith UHF radios would do the job, wouldnt they?

Certainly much cheaper than marine VHF and less likely to transmitt your crew secrets whisperings to everyone else in the fleet!!

Timb

Just want it as additional safety for crew in a MOB situation.

"... less likely to transmitt your crew secrets ..."

:shh: -dont tell him, he may not have thought of that aspect! (assuming contest29 is a 'he')

I am indeed a 'he' (last time I looked!)

So resurrecting this old thread for a related question.

I need to buy a new handheld and ideally need one that is submersible due to some planned summer activities that involve smaller craft.  When not on me in dinghy mode then it'll be in a grab bag possibly there for SSANZ next year...

The Cobra HH350 is the one the shops seem to be pushing. 

The 'benefit' of the above model is that on the box it apparently transmits on 6w (as opposed to 5w max on others) funny thing is, if you look at the product details, it only mentions 1, 3, and 5w max...

I'm all wondering if for banging around the harbour, maybe the far end of Waiheke etc, I'm actually going to be fine with the Uniden MHS050 with 1 and 2.5w transmit power given it has a greater waterproof rating?  

I'm also interested in battery life and the cost of replacements etc. I like the models which can take a handful of AA's.

i went for the MHS050 uniden for its extra waterproof rating 

it would nice to have the extra transmit power but if you then also have to buy another waterproof bag to put it in the whole thing becomes too expensive and fiddly for an item that will generally die when the battry does in 4? years

also as the uniden is the cheapest i won't feel too bad when the battery dies or i lose it (overboard?)

when new did a 1 off radio test to the coastguard (okahu bay - skytower) and they reported faint but clear

also tested once line of sight with the boat's vhf at okahu bay to wife at home in newmarket (line of sight) and it was fine  

if the sailing conditions seem to warrant, it gets clipped on to the vest on the left shoulder while the epirb goes in the right pocket

if you're quick you could get this

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/parts-accessories/radio-electronics/auction-931875422.htm

it may be 7 years old with a rechargeable battery that won't hold its charge....

however it has the alkaline AA pack............ but pulling that out each time to change the batteries will affect the already old seals of a less waterproof model.....

no problem for dry use

but if you, and it, are slopping about at water-level trying to guide rescuers to your position you need the seals to be in "as new condition"

talking of safety, have an old $20 builders red laser level that should take down to the mooring 1 night to try and flash the wife from several klicks

http://www.trademe.co.nz/building-renovation/tools/hand-tools/measuring/auction-933946001.htm

One thing I have never figured out with multiple VHf s attached to one motherships call sign is the handhelds could become spread out all over the show.  One could be on the yacht at anchor. one in the pub ashore one on a nearby hill lookout so when the person in the yachts dinghy in the next bay round gets flipped into the water and calls the coast guard and gives the yachts callsign can things not get a little confusing. If they are not to use the yachts call sign what are they to use.