Exterior varnish

Grinna

I need recommendations for the best exterior varnish for teak trim around the companionway on our boat. It's about the only exterior varnish we have onboard. I'm planning on stripping the varnish back to bare wood, sanding and re-varnishing but won't need to do the slide area under the sliding hatch so there could possibly be compatibility issues with what's already there. Boat was built in 1988 if that's any indication.

So, easiest to use, best finish, longest lasting ... all of these factors are important as well as possible compatibility problems.

Is something like Goldspar the stuff to use or have things moved on since then?

On Pahi they used Epivar i think. 2 pot system. dings are a pain but it looked brilliant when it was new. the issue we have at the moment is that its lifting around the windows (recessed in and held in place by black terostat?) would it be the black terostat getting hot in the sun and stripping the coating off? if so whats our fix?

boat lives under a cover when not used. its a blue cover. can get warm under it

on the tow rail/around the companion way is the sikkens product. does ok

And what he said x 2 :wink: :lol:

Goldspar is quite OK Grinner/smithy. Although it has a slight tint to it. That is what gives it better UV protection. The clearer the coating, the less UV protection.

BUT!!! When I biult my steering wheel, I used a coating that came in a spray can. Made by Bondall. Called Monocel Gold Marine Grade Clear Timber varnish. It has a clear "Nano Zinc" in it for UV protection. (I imagine they all do). It was easy to apply, had a beautiful finish and has lasted outside now for about 4yrs now. Still looks as good as the day I put it on. Very impressed. You can recoat in 5 to 30 minutes, or for high biuld, you wait 8hrs and then liughtly sand and then another coat or few coats and so on. I think I applied about 4 coats to get a deep high gloss.

Cetol - i think was what I used - It has tint to it - I think it looks ok and last time I looked after 3years it had not deteriorated (no longer have the boat) on Soren I applied a lot of International Goldspar - nice product but needed regular upkeep - regular maintenance - light sand and 2 coats every 4 - 6 months)

Sikens is very good on teak.

Uroxis would have to be the best varnish on the market if you follow the instructions, something most of us find hard to do.

old teak ned the oil replaced which is why i like Sikens

What's that newish one many are raving about?

Can't remember the name but from what I've seen and heard it does sound worth a hard look. I'll suss to see if I can find a name.

Archived