Refuelling

Fogg

Sitting by the waterfront for a drink last night was musing on how the superyachts, ships and bigger ferries refuel in Auckland? Assuming they can't fit into the fuel berth at Westhaven is there a fuel barge that comes around to them? I've never noticed one, maybe it's well camouflaged.

Tanker/mini-tanker (i.e. truck) with a long hose? Think it might work out cheaper too, at those sort of volumes - there was even a 60ft Maritimo or similar getting it that way off the wharf at Opua this Christmas.

It is surprising how big the ferries are that come into Westhaven and berth on the northern arm of the refuelling jetty, more often there at high tide than low.

Often there is a tanker or two refilling the tanks in Orams yard at the same time.

I was beside one diesel pump that was simply spinning . . .

as it pased through $2,222.22 . . . .

and this was just a Riverira (?) "top-up".

:think:

Made my 15 litre FILL UP for the 727 knot the biggest sale that day :thumbdown:

Coupel of Mini tankers to "top" up the 97 footer I was on, you know its going to be expensive when they talk in tonnes and not litres. There was a major issue around Diesel Bug a couple of years ago too and many people chose to tank in their own too.

Yeah the big salthouse I sailed up to Vanuatu took just under 5 tons to fill up but we did that at Opua where there was room for us OK. I just don't recall everf seeing a fuel barge hanging around and was wondering how the fullers guys fill up for instance - and how often they need to?

Archived