Shipping costs from USA to NZ

ab1974

Right, still dreaming of a buying a new (used) Catamaran, after having a deal fall through last month.

I know we've touched on importing a yacht before and I have a reasonable handle on most of the costs (GST / Customs duty etc) and how that all works.

Exploring the idea of buying a Catamaran in the US and importing it. Want to get an idea of what it would cost to bring to NZ. Could be from the east or west coasts.

Guess there is sail on / sail off but not sure those ships actually come to NZ?? So probably on the deck of a container ship (not the Rena hopefully!)

Anyone got a Rough Order of Costs to ship a 40' cat from the east or west coast to NZ?? I'm guessing its $20-$30k but no real basis for that.

I was quoted USD27000 for a 38' monohull by float on from St Thomas about a year ago.

That only had a 12' beam so the cat will be a lot more.

If you get it through the Panama the prices will go down a bit though.

You could also try just to Tahiti and then sail back doing the shorter hops

I'd love to do the sail back. However annual leave limitations and a career break wont allow for it yet. So its either ship it or don't buy one offshore (Australia excepted - but I'd only be buying there because I can't find what I want here - the US comes with a price discount bonus!)

Plenty of threads on this kinds of stuff...

Try $50k + plus cradle, deregistration, survey, etc etc. Then 5% duty + GST on the lot including shipping costs when you get it here.

Would be much cheaper to buy in Aus and sail here....

Forget container ships, they are only interested in containers, sorry to state the obvious. A cat just does not fit their program unless your first name is Larry..

Depending on where you are looking there are some options to explore. Google Dockwise or Seven Seas and check their schedules. You may get lucky on one of their sailings (travelling light) and get a deal.

I am with Tony and sail it down here, hopefully its a Catana so that would be great adventure!

Forget container ships, they are only interested in containers, sorry to state the obvious. A cat just does not fit their program unless your first name is Larry..

Depending on where you are looking there are some options to explore. Google Dockwise or Seven Seas and check their schedules. You may get lucky on one of their sailings (travelling light) and get a deal.

I am with Tony and sail it down here, hopefully its a Catana so that would be great adventure!

I am sure you can have someone else sail it back for you...probably at a much cheaper cost than having it shipped! I know someone who may want to do it...including me!

Archived