maxwell winch handle

Kiwichas

They are a standard pattern so just about any which handle will fit. Just when you get one check it isn't too long. Some winches are in tight places so long handles aren't always a good fit. Most to the winch dudes handle that come in the kits are quite short.

Yes, most handles fit, but they will not lock in the winch, the only one that is made that does is an odd shaped Cleveco that is also only a square drive

Amazing considering the huge numbers of Maxwell winches out there that you can't get a proper new replacement

Most to the winch dudes handle that come in the kits are quite short.

I feel there is wisdom contained somewhere within this sentence but either you need to sober up or I need to drink more. :roll:

I suppose the quickest option is for me to start drinking and see what happens...

Opps, lets try that again.

The winch handles supplied by most of the winch dudes do tend to be short, also lost quickly :)

Booze free that one. Sunstroke I reckon, been on the roof for a couple of hours and feck me is it hot. But I got it all done, Ya frecking Hoo!!

The maxwell handles have a ball half way down for locking, the others have a square plate that rotates as locking. You can get the local engineering guy to machine a groove in the bottom of the hole to take the locking plate, the boat i sail on has had all the maxwell winches machined and works good.

Opps, ignore my posts unless you are talking Maxwell Anchor winches, which is what I'm referring too.

I clean forgot about the old Maxwell Sheet winches, which maybe what the handles are for.

Should have said sheet winch.

Previous handles were Maxwell and very well made, good hammers also, good for crew discipline and all sorts of things.

While they have a good locking mechanism it is not proof against "Force Majeure", in this case a gybe in 30kn.In which the handle was whipped out by the flying loose standing mainsheet. The handle was seen to hurtle about 6" from my wife's right ear (as she was pulling in the other sheet) to spend it's days somewhere south of Putiki Bay.

A salutary lesson to remove redundant handles before violent manoeuvres, could have been fatal.

I have 2 older style Maxwell handles. They are square drive and have the little locking ball thing about halfway on the winch insert instead of the flat plate on the bottom. Standard handle with a ball on top so you can double hand them.

Pretty big gear, solid that's for sure.....

Any use to you?

Archived