Cook Strait do's and dont's

radarnz

Hi all, my very first post on here and looking forward to your wisdom.

I have a 28ft yacht moored at Seaview which I want to cross the Cook Strait in eventually.I've heard a few stories of when the best time is to cross, but have forgot which tide is best at certain points of the journey and how far to sail off Karori lighthouse etc.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I cant remember much about the tides but i would say that you are best to time slack tide at Karori light.

I think you can get it with a following tide there and then following tide out of there too?

From my experience at Karori is that if you go wide you dont have as much of a rip but it last longer (still nasty), in close you can have more rip but for for a shorter time. Be prepared for some very nasty stuff there in any breeze or even just a gentle swell and no wind will be lumpy.

Then you have the wind factory, just past Karori, it the breeze is anything from the north then plan to up to 20kts more there that anywhere else. it can be VERY windy, not uncommon to have 40+

Also the brothers, tory channel and cape jackson can also have really bad rips, treat them with caution.

if you call into the yacht club or wander through the marina, especially down A pier you will find plenty of advice and experience. I'm pretty sure the yacht club arrange a couple of cruises over to the sounds each year, which could be a good be a good intro to crossing the ditch

Hi Radar, Best bet is to sail over as part of a group, and/or take an experienced person with you for your first trip.

As Grant said, we go across at Christmas and Easter.

Call in to the Club one Friday evening, have a beer and a chat. We would be happy to offer advice, have you join us for a crossing, and find someone to show you the ropes of crossing the Strait.

John Lord

Cruising Captain

Lowry Bay Yacht Club. :D

Hi Radarnz, welcome to the forum. If your boat is sound and you use common sense, you'll be fine. Don't let anyone put you off! BUT geta good forecast, and make sure the tides are right. Check the nowcast at the brothers especially. The advide on the website above is good for tides. The wind factory can DOUBLE the windspeed in the right conditions, be ready. It's well worth the effort - I've done over 100 Strait crossings, in various boats from a 24 ft trailer yacht up. The sounds are great - go!!! :D

Archived