Yet another newbie dreamer question

Dagwood

Kicking tyres around the option of getting a keeler for local cruising. It would be my first yacht since owning a Starling and crewing on a Tasman 20 and a Raven 26 for casual races some 20 odd years ago so I'm sure I'll be the muppet out there making a few goofs but hopefully nothing too serious.

Kids are growing up and getting more independent so I have a vision / delusion of the two of us sailing out on a Friday evening and spending the weekend finding quiet bays and generally chilling out. (Maybe that's the the first part of the fantasy there with all the stereos I now see fitted to boats!)

I haven't settled on any particular boat yet but I'm not looking at anything flash - a sound Townson, Reactor, Raven or Nova / Davidson 28 etc with a late model Diesel inboard seems like it would fit the bill. I guess an active owners association would appeal.

Thing is I don't think it is realistic to justify owning one on our own - I volunteer for a local Coastguard unit and there's a family bach we use / look after so the available time to use and maintain it would be limited.

Would it be an idea to bareboat charter something to have a go first?

Do shared ownership arrangements work?

How do you find out if you're compatible? An example, we would be grumpy to go on board for our weekend and find things broken / empty or dirty dishes left in the sink - others might think we're being anal and inflexible.

Any input welcome! :thumbup:

Probably sub 30K.

Funny but I'd be happy to spend more dough if I was buying it outright than if I was buying a share. Can't really explain it but I guess it's a feeling of being more in control and selling a share seems more awkward than an entire boat.

Probably sub 30K.

Funny but I'd be happy to spend more dough if I was buying it outright than if I was buying a share. Can't really explain it but I guess it's a feeling of being more in control and selling a share seems more awkward than an entire boat.

That's why I asked as buying just a share can be difficult too. For that money you could get the whole boat (there's a Davidson 28 for sale in my wife's family - on TradeMe at just over $30k).

You could buy my share in an excellent Farr boat based at Westhaven for just over the 30k mark.

It aint the purchase price, but the ongoing maintenance that is the drain.

The ownaship / Latitude et al model works well for people with strong cashflow - ie good businesses, / salaries. The syndicate works well for a 1 off payment and then lesser ongoing costs.

The big thing with a syndicate is to ensure you know where the other owners stand in terms of experience, expectations etc. Our one has worked well as all owners contribute, and we all trust each other with the boat no matter what the weather .

PM me or call 0274 754 169.

Thanks Jono. I think you're quite right, some good info there.

It might be a better approach to find a partner and go and find a boat if we decide on joint ownership. If we can't agree on a boat, then it wasn't meant to be!

I think your boat and my skills / experience level might not be much of a match!

I should perhaps clarify, 30ish would be at the upper end of what I'd be looking at and if it was a shared ownership arrangement I would be more comfortable spending less. Call me tight!

This has just come up on trademe.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-m ... 247955.htm

Also, just up at the Greenhithe Bridge, there is a similar style of boat that is forsale. You would get it for a steal, as in just few grand. The owner needs the money for a project he is working on and he is trying to sell two boats. The other is a larger FC at Te Atatu for about 3K. But I don't think it is a finished boat.

Thanks Murky - that Davidson looks ideal to me. Might have to do a little bit of work at home re selling the "Fizz nasty" (as they seem to be referred too here) that currently resides in the drive and go from there.

Thanks Murky - that Davidson looks ideal to me. Might have to do a little bit of work at home re selling the "Fizz nasty" (as they seem to be referred too here) that currently resides in the drive and go from there.

Hahaha. Fizznasty if they're o/b driven. Stinkpot if they're diesel.

Archived