Cold Water Immersion

It is getting to where it takes up way too much time. There are about 5 sites I check regularly, then they have links to other sites.......... I think it is called surfing.

....hhhmmmm...rule number one, dont go over board.

Just finished a book on the Alaskan crab fisherman.

Their CG, does random boat checks, including an imersion suit drill. They say GO with no warning and the whole crew has to put on their imersion suits within a given time frame. As well as a barrier to cold they are positively bouyant. A fail can risk their license..The post water trauma was also sadly stated, after they pulled a skipper from a sinking boat who then died on the wheel house floor.

Interestingly to me, a few of the solo sailors here have bought imersion suits and the trend seems to be catching on. Thinking about it myself.

Apparently (as in I have watched but never tried myself) you can train your body to stop that cold water response action, but jumping in Cold water, work at getting your breathing right, get out, warm up and then jump back in again. About 5 times is all you need and the Cold water response leaves you for about 12months.

Personaly, I prefer the method of never allowing myself to get into that kind of cold water for a starter.

Personaly, I prefer the method of never allowing myself to get into that kind of cold water for a starter.

I am with you there Wheels. Stay out of the cold water is my lifes motto :D

At the risk of minor thread drift Ailey said "how do you stumble across this stuff"

My son set me up on a website called StumbleUpon where you go in and set up the things/categories (check boxes) you are interested in and once a week it sends you an email saying these are the things we have found that may be of interest to you -cuts down on the random surfing which can lead you totally South when you want to go North.

I had a Mate from Nova Scotia onboard a particular boat who could not swim, when I queried him on it his reply was most seamen/fishermen round that part of the world could not because the water was so friggin cold they reasoned "why prolong the inevitable" if you fall in during winter you have about 2 minutes if you get over the cold shock and haven't inhaled water first.

Archived