Is there another Bintang?

Unbeknownst to both of us, the thread of skin was actually the nerve. What followed was a quick trip to Mars and back again!

:shock: :shock: I just a wee bit of sick come up into my mouth :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

You poor bugger, I feel your pain. :oops: :oops: :oops:

............One question I'm curious about, you say that Marine Rescue Centre 'offered' a replacement crew - how did that come about - were they people you had contacted in advance and were named as back-up crew or did the authorities have them on hand? Just curious about that bit as it has got me thinking if something similar happened to me, could I raise a replacement crew to fly in and bring AC home?!

My understanding is that the pilot, Peter Turnbull, who is a yachtie rang up Sharon ? at the Whangarei Marina office and she put him on to Boyd. Boyd then recruited his mate Dan. As I say, they were airborne in an hour.

I should add that Peter came to see me in hospital next day and offered the use of a car and cottage for Kate. Nice people those whangareians.

Cool.

This has got me seriously thinking about trying to make some kind of arrangement with a trusted back-up person just in case.

Off the top of my head I can think of 3 capable sailors who mostly/nearly know AC well enough to safely bring her home in my absence. And in an emergency such as this they might be willing to get a phone call and offered to chance to help out - if they are able to. Granted they might not be able to, work commitments, safety etc. But it would be good to have some kind of plan.

Similarly, I would be happy to make a reciprocal arrangement and ensure I know a couple of my friends' boats well enough to take over if they were incapacitated and I could get there in time.

It strikes me you got really lucky in this regard, David? Compared to the alternative scenario we often hear about where the owner is winched off and a perfectly good yacht left to her own fortunes, often resulting in the loss of a lovely boat.

..........It strikes me you got really lucky in this regard, David? Compared to the alternative scenario we often hear about where the owner is winched off and a perfectly good yacht left to her own fortunes, often resulting in the loss of a lovely boat.

Don't I know it.

The "crew -available" option made my decision (to take a helicopter ride) much easier.

I would like to tell you that I would not have abandoned the boat, but I'm not sure.

Luckily, I had little pain and the bleeding had more or less subsided, so I was able to work the boat after a fashion. But once I got to hospital, the adrenalin rush subsided and I went into shock. I'm not sure how I would have coped had that happened while I was still on Bintang.

D.L.

Amazing story. Thanks for sharing so candidly. Not often one of 'our own' gets to tell us their story firsthand as opposed to us hearing it via inaccurate Herald journalism.

Kate loved her Peter Pan and Wendy rise up into the skies.

She and I have been sailing together since I applied for a crew berth on her father's boat Wakarere in about 1962. We have had many adventures together, in several oceans..

She took the helm during this one and got us into relatively calm water.

Cheers D.

Hi David

...a sailient lesson. to the rest of us.( I have come very close with a swinging anchor whilst the bow was getting buried...Maiden voyage..the thing had a rigging screw holding it, but to no avail)

What great guys to skipper the boat back to safety.

I doubt that here in Oz the "authorities" would have enough connection to the local best person to ask them. In fact I am quite sure that unless it was a "coast guard, or qualified person...inverted comas ...they would not consider it".

Shock.....lucky you where safe when this kicked in....

Well worth being re stated.....Injury shock can put the biggest most skilled person on the deck.

Shock is a body preservation reaction that evolution didnt count on the human being on a yacht ! This is so important for the first mate. If captain couragous ( I am using me as an example here) has just had a reasonably serious injury.....watch him / her. They may do very well for a while...BUT may become pale, nausious, dizzy...and then very sick. This may happen in seconds. After that you the first mate now has a double responsibility. ...because the Captain now needs urgent medical help , and you have total responsibility for the vessel....

To us "Skippers"

As I have said and teach to new sailors..the next person in line is more important than you.

They are your backup, your insurance, your doctor, your emergency communication officer, your skipper, your best friend, and possibly your life saver.

So DONT be "Captain Bastard"...teach them everything you know with sincerity and joy.

One day your life just may depend on it.

All the very best David, and thankyou for your reply..

ps..the vid is not available out of NZ....bummer.

She took the helm during this one and got us into relatively calm water.
Nothing makes you prouder I reckon, than when your wife/partner steps up and takes control in a situation.

Archived