We need a pub

Fogg

Just tie up in the Viaduct, plenty of bars to be found.

Not the same. Apart from having to negotiate that swing bridge and find a place to park, you've come back into the city and you're surrounded by landlubbers. Whereas the attraction of the waterfront pubs is that you know pretty much everyone has sailed there. Totally different atmosphere!

Agreed 100%

Not the same. Apart from having to negotiate that swing bridge and find a place to park, you've come back into the city and you're surrounded by landlubbers. Whereas the attraction of the waterfront pubs is that you know pretty much everyone has sailed there. Totally different atmosphere!

Just jokes - are you even allowed to casually tie up in the viaduct?

I've got it! Brainwave (rare occurrence)!

If Speights can put a pub on a ship to London......

IMG_1409.JPG

..... why can't they put one on a barge and moor it somewhere in the Gulf?

Or maybe Mt Gay would be more appropriate? Ogre, that could be your next project/campaign to pursuade Mt Gay to sponsor a barge bar??? Like this:

clubhouse.jpg

Access by dinghy or sponsored water taxi.

Next competition - where to locate it?

Agree with you entirely AC. I reckon NZ's kill joy laws limit the creation of a lot of waterside pubs.

Almost anything with boat access in the Hauraki gulf would do pretty well wouldn't it?

The Man of War wine tasting establishment is a good start

NZ's killjoy laws limit the creation of all pubs not just waterside ones.

Problem with a new pub in the gulf is that it would go broke before the next long weekend and all the cruisers came along.

Agreed with Man O War tho!

I've got it! Brainwave (rare occurrence)!

If Speights can put a pub on a ship to London......

Now you are talking! :thumbup:

Im in even if i have to swim :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just jokes - are you even allowed to casually tie up in the viaduct?

You used to be allowed to casually berth on the jetty directly outside O'Hagan's Pub but I think that has now become booking-only.

And besides, unless you've got a superyacht you're gonna feel a bit self-conscious holding up a bridge full of people as you motor into the viaduct for a look-see in your 'average' boat!

Years ago a mate of mine wanted to rent a big barge, park it at Kawau for New Year, have music and a dance floor , then charge people $5 to tie up their dinghy for the night.

Don't know if it ever happened, but would be interesting to see if the idea would still fly. Who knows someone with a big flat barge?

Years ago a mate of mine wanted to rent a big barge, park it at Kawau for New Year, have music and a dance floor , then charge people $5 to tie up their dinghy for the night.

Don't know if it ever happened, but would be interesting to see if the idea would still fly. Who knows someone with a big flat barge?

Would it fly....yes. Crew.org party at kawau :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: id bring a few who you could charge $5 a head to.

I'm convinced there is a business idea here. Might be a bit seasonal but there's something in it...

Ogre - why don't you have a chat with you marketing chic at Mt Gay and sound them out on the idea of supporting it even if not funding the whole thing?

First hurdle is find a big barge and see what it would cost, To be honest I'm not sure where to start on that, Maybe KM knows????

You buy it, I'll happily run it for the summer season. Anything to escape the wicked heat here in the summer. Sure the boy would cope without his chef for a while.....

A whole 4 months? :lol: :lol: You think? Oh Sailorsue - you can be a heartless woman. :wink:

Hypothetically where would we put this Pub?

Potentially we could create a bunch of mini festivals (along the line of the Urupukapuka BOI) and tow the Pub from location to location.

Hypothetically where would we put this Pub?

Potentially we could create a bunch of mini festivals (along the line of the Urupukapuka BOI) and tow the Pub from location to location.

Exactly.

But long-term location needs to be well protected from all conditions so the big bays / harbours are obvious choices e.g. Bon Accord, Mahurangi, Matiatia, Weiti?

Great idea.

I could see the pub as providing a great destination point - few emails to establish where it was 'this weekend'! But to get the number of punters on board it would need to be in a big enough bay to allow enough anchorage room.

The "Island" was a car ferry (think ex waiheke car ferry without much cabin space) decked out as a tropical pub. Was a great idea that unfortunately died after the Brisbane floods, when the MSA required them to undertake further safety upgrades.

Would be interesting to understand the Survey position of Barge (ie tow it) Vs car ferry and whether one would be easier to leave anchored for days or weeks at a time. For instance I am guessing it would be easier to go a barge to a survey point as it doesn't go anywhere when paying people are on board - it is effectively a floating pub. However I'm also guessing it could quickly outstay its welcome and would therefore require some sort of 'mooring' application. The ferry would presumably be more costly to survey as you could move it with passangers on board (or maybe you don't have to get a survey if passangers can only come on board once it is anchored?) but you could anchor it in a bay just for an afternoon / evening and take off after you kick everyone off??

Archived