We need a pub

Fogg

Now you're talking guys!! Great ideas here. Issy bay?? Just have it seasonal like the Greek Tavernas. They all close down over Christmas.. It would be great if it happened..

old enough to remember the elephant house at kawau, when that place rocked it rocked and big reds screechs could be heard miles away

How about one of these :?:

I was surprised at how much space there was and how a large family or group with 3 or 4 yachts could have a great eating & dining area at night with yachts moored alongside, but then a sailing holiday / family races etc as well.

Start small & build up.

http://www.dreamboats.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=fuseaction_42

Probably ideal as a self-propelled bar... but for any other use: We had occasion to spot one of these, ummm, objects afloat and making headway (just) on the Waitemata few weeks ago. Concluded was not actually floating, was in fact so ugly the sea was repelling it. OTOH, if it happened to be laden with enough Haagen I might learn to love it :)

Guest Saturday Night Special

I remember the Elephant house .I was there when the 71 one ton cup was on got a thick ear from my Farther because Montcomentary left the elephant house to do his Broadcast on the Sirdar claiming he was at chanel Island in the liquid himilayers .I proudly professed as a 4 year old bullshit he is down there on that big stink boat .

I have fond memories of our early sailing days and weekend pilgrimages to Mansion house bay, playing pool and watching the antics of Big Red and Snow the hermit from Moturekereke - he used to row over every week to collect his dole cheque. The bay in those days was a carpet of broken glass because everyone used to drink from bottles and smash them with a winch handle. Our other favourite hangouts for New Year were the Duke at Russell and the Waitangi Pub. Otehei Bay was a good spot also.

Things were pretty wild and lots of fun then - shame we don't have something similar now - although not sure if I could handle it if they were! It would be an added attraction for getting younger people into sailing tho.

Guest Saturday Night Special

Snow Harris was a pensioner and former boat builder who had worked at the boat building sheds on Kawau

Snow had bugger all free board in his dinghy bits of ply added on for more, It was hard to get your anchor to hold in the bay (none of this small bottle stuff in those days)pulled anchor up once a bottle on each fluke :)

The elephant house was a vast improvement on what was there before.

Yes it's a pity it was pulled down.

Likewise Pakatoa resort had a bar and a swimming pool etc and would of been a great destination but the management of an exclusive did knot want drunken yachties lowering the tone . . .

Waiwera had a hotel a few yards back from the beach but I was too young to know what happened. The Wairewa rivera has no depth for yachts. Perhaps anchoring off was not safe and in any event, Mansion House Bay had more appeal.

But this was all back in history, 6 o'clock closing, ladies in house bars only etc. No cafe / bistro / casual dining culture back then.

Archived