New bronze bolts required.

rossd

I have had all bronze castings removed from the deck for the big repaint. Some of the through bolts have stripped, sheared and generally destructed. Not sure exactly what they are but I assume bronze although some are copper. I could replace with stainless I suppose but would look a bit odd. The cost of bronze is freaking me out before I even look! Was going to try EDL in Hamilton in 1st instace but anyone know a good supply. Bolts are 8 and 10 mm say 50 to 125 long, slotted countersunk heads. Boat is mid 1970s.

Can't help with where, but the ones that look like copper are probably bronze that has been dezincified. The Zinc has migrated out and it leaves the Bronze looking like copper.

I would try someone like Nutsboltsandscrews maybe. They would expect they would be Silicon Bronze. I don't know why they are so expensive. Probably a supply and demand thing. Not many want them and so not a lot of outfits make them.

Go to Fosters.

By going to Fosters you get the right type of Bronze for marine use.

I understand they used to import and distribute to other companies, could be wrong on that...

Bronze fastenings are pricy, but they do last well.

Archived