Touche Sunk in Fiji

ScottiE

DAMN! :shock:

I helped these guys sail Touché up to Savusavu with the ICA rally that left Opua on 1 May. Nice couple. That has got to be hugely gutting for them. Good to hear that it sounds like they are ok.

They have been living aboard for about 4 years based in Tauranga so will have lost a lot more than just the boat. This was their second trip to Fiji, they spent the season up that way in 2009.

Touche was everything they owned. She was a fabulous live aboard.

Glad to hear both are and safe and well, devastated to hear they have lost their yacht.

Commiserations D and R.

is v sad news when something like that happens...hope they have good insurance cover and everything settles quickly for them...

Sad news indeed. Good to hear the rescue process went very well and fast.

Another kiwi boat just had a bad arrival as well. A nice guy soloing to Bundy, bugger missed the entrance to the river by 200mts. He's fine. Boat lost rudder and has a nice dent. It's steel so that probably helped. And a nice reminder, don't push navigation when close to hard stuff when you are totaly knackered and/or could get distracted.

http://www.news-mail.com.au/photos/galleries/the-stargull-run-aground-at-burn/#/0

And a nice reminder, don't push "it" when close to hard stuff when you are totaly knackered and/or could get distracted.

sounds like the punchline to a joke involving a priest and a prostitute

The owners of Touche are all relatively OK but are in a state of shock. Yacht hit something floating about 7 miles offshore and started taking on water. This set of a chain of events that resulted in the loss of the boat. I have a full rundown but wont put it on line as I feel this is up to Dennis and Rebecca. Appears they did everything right and followed a course of action that was sensible and thoughtfull given them being two-handed and the yachts location. If you are friend of D&R then please PM me if you want more info.

Ian

Thanks for that summerbreeze. I just signed off a boat in Savusavu and of course , its very much the talk of the 'town' there. The immigration guy told me that the couple were in his office 15 minutes before we were there to do our paperwork on friday, and on the thurs we'd been sailing across from Naigani to Koro.

It was a boisterous kind of day with an assisted tradewind of 20 through 25 at times and a challenging and steep SE sea so I can just imagine how hectic it was on board with damage to deal with. best regards to the Touche's.

Archived