Settee cushion backrests. Or not?

Terry B

My 29 footer has back rest settee cushions (see really bad photo of red settee). They're velcroed to the ply panels behind them.

I find them a pain in the proverbial - to get at the lockers under the seats often means removing the back rest as well as the seat cushion, because the backrest cushion sits on top of the back edge of the seat cushion.

Additionally, to get at 1 locker (there are 3 locker openings behind each of the 2 long settee backs) requires taking the whole cushion off.

Plus, we take the end cushions off to sleep because the settee is not quite long enough to stretch out on.

Soooooo, I'm thinking of doing something like the attached pic - get rid of back rest cushions altogether.

More space, easier access, less cost (varnish is way cheaper than specially made cushions).

However, before I take this monumental and dangerous (saws/drills/chisels will be involved) step I thought I'd get the gurus with way more experience to give me their thoughts...........

Cushions (loose not fixed).jpg

one.jpg

Remember the mantra

"Boating should be easy".

THerefore you probably need to do something.

My suggestions.

1 - Shorten back rest 50mm so you can move bottom square without moving the top.

2 - go to a bolster and cubbyhole arrangement. ie have the bolster of about 200mm and access to behind the backrest in either locker or cutout format

3 - go to the other photo method and have cushions.

Personally I like a fixed padded backrest of some form but find a part one is often enough.

We dont have backrests. Comfortable and simple. Easy access to back lockers and below the seat lockers. Never had comfort complaints and just use pillows when away cruising. When racing a few rums fix most issues.

Thanks for the input Jono and AB.

I think I'll go with the no back cushion option. I already have enough ply for the job and it might keep me off the streets as a good "winter project".

However, it's a low priority on my list of 4,673 things to do..................

I'm putting some backrests in but using those 'fastmount' thingys. Super easy to clip in for cruising yet remove for when serious racing. Also rather than have full sized/coverage ones going towards more trimmed shorter ones so they are a lot less bulky. It is only the plan and hasn't been trialled as yet so maybe a cock-up, I hope knot.

We had bigger velco ones and while OK the velco was a pain in the bum and they often were flying around the cabin is wild weather.

Yep KM, there's probably no perfect answer!

I cruise 90% of the time so comfort is important. But, given that we spend most of our time on the boat in the cockpit (we cruise the Hauraki Gulf) except when cooking/sleeping, the lack of semi-permanent cushions shouldn't be a problem.

I hope.

I've got all winter to ponder this dilemma !!!!!

Thinking about it a bit further, if I was cunning with doing the non-back rest thing............... kept the cushions............and made the locker doors fairly flush to the bulkheads, it would be VERY easy to reinstall the back rest cushions (should a future owner, or me, want them) - just add velcro to the bulkhead again............... :thumbup:

Now, how to design flush bulkhead access doors..........?? :roll:

I'm putting some backrests in but using those 'fastmount' thingys. Super easy to clip in for cruising yet remove for when serious racing. Also rather than have full sized/coverage ones going towards more trimmed shorter ones so they are a lot less bulky. It is only the plan and hasn't been trialled as yet so maybe a cock-up, I hope knot.

We had bigger velco ones and while OK the velco was a pain in the bum and they often were flying around the cabin is wild weather.

I have the same basic issues as Terry B, in fact almost the same colour scheme. I'd ditch the back and corner cushions in an instant. Unfortunately the missus like the comforts.

The clips from Fastmount were also in my thinking. They were specifically developed to mount panelling on superyachts and eliminate miles of velcro. They have a couple of different versions now. Using these clips I could remove the surrounding trim which is presently required to help hold the cushions in place. Then I could have a degree of comfort with the cushions removed, and still install the cushions securely for the longer family cruises. KM, presumably you're planning to make your cushions plywood backed?

The other thing on my boat list is painting out a fair part of the wood in white. Something Terry B might also want to consider?

"Fastmount thingies" - is that the full technical name? :lol: :lol:

Yeap nearly :)

http://www.fastmount.com/

Don't let the .com put you off, it's a NZ mob.

KM, presumably you're planning to make your cushions plywood backed?

The other thing on my boat list is painting out a fair part of the wood in white. Something Terry B might also want to consider?

Haven't totally worked the details but yes at this stage. I'm thinking more of a stretched up/down wards D type shaped back rest rather than the full sized squab, if that makes sense. I'm thinking around 250-300mm deep by 75mm thick, probably onto a 6mm ply backing. Just something softer to lean back on rather than cold ply and being long and skinner means they can be stored easier when knot wanted. The depth of them will still allow easy access to the locker space behind them. The contents of those lockers are currently held in there by the squabs but I am putting doors on them for my planned extended adventures.

Agree with the white comment. Mine inside is all white paint where many of the others of my ilk are all or mostly timber. While I have more bulkheads than most mine still has more of a 'open n airy' feel than the timber inside boats and does 'feel' bigger even though it's knot obviously. In the rebuild the inside will be staying white but I am adding some small timber trims to give her a more warmer feel, the all white is a tad sterile. The timber trim will also be handy for showing where the corners etc are at 3am while running under red lights.

Yep, was thinking about white paint. But I think I'll stick with the varnish - my ceilings are white and there is plenty of light thru biggish windows.

Thanks for the website KM. Those "thingies" look like the bees knees to me.

Whats with all this light and airy rubbish. How can you nest down into a burgundy/ Blue and wooden cave with yer smoking jacket and a brandy in light and airy? Friggin snags. :D

mancave! wood!

Light and airy, mumble, its light and airy outside... some days more than most. Night ... not so much.

This sorta thing KM? Not sure what the green canvas thing hanging on it is for - but that looks like what you're thinking of?
Yeap, very much so like that. Those fastmount thingies, to use their knot-so-technical name, seem to be the ducks knuts for jobs like that. I'm even adding a table like in that pic as a locker lid sitting on a chilly bin with bluetack doesn't quite work the same. The mighty SR will probably have to change it's name to Optimist Prime or some Transformer by the time I'm finished :) ................ assuming it all works as expected :?

Whats with all this light and airy rubbish. How can you nest down into a burgundy/ Blue and wooden cave with yer smoking jacket and a brandy in light and airy? Friggin snags. :D

mancave! wood!

I use to think like that but now have discovered you can drink and smoke just as much in a airy fairy boat. What's more the Smoking Jacket can be swapped for a simple Tupenu (or a sarong if you don't speak Tongan) without leaving you feeling like you're lacking some semblance of culture :lol: :lol:

Besides vanish is way harder when talking maintenance.

Solved it I think! :idea:

There's 3 oval lockers behind that long cushion already. They have no door/lid currently as the velcro cushion holds whatevers in the locker - in.

So, to get rid of the velcro AND raise the back cushion off the base cushion (to get easier access to lockers under settee) AND get easier access to back lockers without destroying the re-sale (as someone astutely mentioned earlier) i'm going to:

Make 3 locker doors that together, pretty much cover the whole area the current single long cushion does. They'll hinge at the bottom a few inches up from the base cushion (leaving a gap to get base cushion moved easily). I'll just use a simple latch at the top. And a cuppla slim vent holes just above the hinges for ventilation.

Re-sew the large cushion into 3 cushions slightly smaller than the new locker doors and attach them to the locker doors (probably with velcro, dammit). So when you open one of the lockers, the cushion folds down with it! No more moving cushions out of the way!

End result will be pretty much like what I have now (with a small gap between the base cushion and the back cushions as well as between the back cushions. Will look like 3 separate cushions.

And my problems solved. Well, that one will be. :roll:

Should have it finished by late this evening :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

See any fatal flaws in this cunning plan? - or can I stick a tail on it and call it a weasel!

I'd call that a weasel and go for it Terry.

With the pool I think you're supposed to put 29fters in it, knot the other way around :lol:

Archived