foils

Après les ailes, les échasses ! En ce lundi matin, depuis 00h01, vous êtes les premiers à découvrir l'idée folle du defender américain de la Coupe : mettre des foils sous les flotteurs de ses AC45 ! Résultat : des vitesses totalement démentes, comme le prouve la flexion du foil sous le vent – pourtant en carbone. Les foils-dérives, qui ont été avancés, sont en «L» rentrant, les safrans, en «T» inversés. Mais, délicats à maîtriser, ces appendices seront-ils posés sous le futur AC72 ? / H.H.

After the wings, the stilts! On Monday morning, from 0:01, you're the first to discover the crazy idea of defending American Cup: put the foils in the floats of its AC45! Result: totally insane speeds, as evidenced by the bending of the leeward foil - yet carbon. The drift-foils, which have been advanced, are "L" returning, rudder, "T" inverted. But, difficult to master, these appendices will they be placed under the AC72 future? / H.H.

http://www.voilesetvoiliers.com/popup/3 ... des-foils/

Photos © Guilain Grenier / Oracle Team USA

post-971-141887202287.jpg

post-971-141887202291.jpg

i'm not convinced that is fully foiling as it appears. maybe launching off a wave, with the assitance of the foils?

The foils look kinda small?

I hope its real though, the potential for massive crashes is the even higher!

Photoshop?

IM not the biggest fan of the foiling L boards for the Americas cup, but if they do run with them then I hope that there are some good crashes :D

They tried foiles on windsurfers but they were allot slower than normal windsurfers. Maybe foils scale up well?

Certanly looks fast

from here

http://sumneros.com/2012/06/20/june-update/

After some instruction, Jimmy handed me the tiller extension and let me steer. It was AMAZING! I couldn’t believe it. I drove the AC45 for about 45 minutes. When I was steering the boat, it got up to 20 knots. When I got back on the chase boat the AC45 got up to 34 knots, the max speed for the day.

post-971-141887202298.jpg

So you saying that they are photoshopped?

Pretty good job. I suppose the bulge at the base of the rig is photo shopped as well??

They tried foiles on windsurfers but they were allot slower than normal windsurfers. Maybe foils scale up well?

Certanly looks fast

I think maybe that was because when a windsufer is going fast it is barely touching the water anyway.

Archived