2012 Around White Island Race

Aussie

Sorry, that should have read: Coppellia beat Marshall Law for first place overall on PHRF by an hour. Well sailed only 2 up. That must have been a hard race, especially coming past Channel with its associated hole, then 25-30 knots upwind!

I'll leave the report for Bardy, with his unique skills, but we had a cracker race with an excellent crew. To Booboo, Bicky, David, Craig, Gary, JK, Bardy and Ziggy: Thanks for a top effort! Excellent food, hard work, great tactics and good company. I learned heaps.

Cheers, Smithy.

Thanks for a great race Smithy, I enjoyed that.

Cutting Cuvier out f the course really changes the whole race a huge amount (for the better). Much more tactical with the Mercs’ slap bang in the way and also having more decisions to make along the corromandel coast. I like that a lot.

Conditions were really interesting, actually very predictable with a great mix of thermal and gradient pressure, it was tactically very fun.

We had wind for the whole race and one very small park up at Corromandel. Had a bit of everything really, heavy reaching and upwind (up to 25kts at channel island) and light airs from every possible angle. Plenty of sunshine (too much for Marilyn who withdrew due to some extreme sunburn) and shorts and teeshirt sailing.

Highlights of the race for me-

-Not having to wear any wet weather gear for the whole race.

-Seeing a sunfish and a few flying fish, didn’t know they would be down this far south so early in the season. Is the water warmer than normal?

-Bardys epic moonfish failure, he can tell that story but it certainly kept us entertained for a long time.

-Being ahead of bare essentials until about 5nm before white island and have them blast past us doing 3kts quicker, I guess outside the Mercs paid off eh boys!

-Good food and plenty of it. Dead snakes and ducks feet.

-Good company and plenty of humour.

-14 year old Ziggy keeping the boat in the groove for 2 hours upwind in the light, the best tacks we did for the whole race.

-GLAMOUR weather

-Happy hour. Found a new drink, rum and coconut/pineapple.

-A pretty damn good result.

Well done to Sally and Rob on the Copellia, you guys sailed a great race (again.....)

I look forward to Bardys official marshal law race report.

What’s next Smithy?

Yes, the race in the weekend was as good as Josh described, thou to be fair both Rob and I got pretty soaked in a headsail change in 25 knots early on Sunday morning.

Well done to RAYC for running the race, especially Fred Price and his team of Jenny Price and Rory for starting and finishing the race, and Suellen for posting the updates. Rob is writing a report and I will post when he is done.

Yeah well done vodafone on another record,

Marshal law sailed very well. Those ross 40's love that sort of weather and obviously there has been a big performance gain with the new fruit and additional staff.

But Coppelia sailed awesome and deserve their win.

You guys just charge along when your powered up with the number one. I was sure you were going to pass us at colville when we parked on the way home.

How many times now do you think we have crossed tacks now in those conditions? 500?

Highlight of the race 9.8knts in a puff reaching past stoney bay and a chunk of mako shark 5ft long that had just been bitten in half by something with it guts hanging out drifting past the boat as the sun came up by the volknor rocks.

Good show Rayc and look forward to The 3 kings in feb.

Thanks for a great race Smithy, I enjoyed that.

Cutting Cuvier out f the course really changes the whole race a huge amount (for the better). Much more tactical with the Mercs’ slap bang in the way and also having more decisions to make along the corromandel coast. I like that a lot.

Conditions were really interesting, actually very predictable with a great mix of thermal and gradient pressure, it was tactically very fun.

We had wind for the whole race and one very small park up at Corromandel. Had a bit of everything really, heavy reaching and upwind (up to 25kts at channel island) and light airs from every possible angle. Plenty of sunshine (too much for Marilyn who withdrew due to some extreme sunburn) and shorts and teeshirt sailing.

Highlights of the race for me-

-Not having to wear any wet weather gear for the whole race.

-Seeing a sunfish and a few flying fish, didn’t know they would be down this far south so early in the season. Is the water warmer than normal?

-Bardys epic moonfish failure, he can tell that story but it certainly kept us entertained for a long time.

-Being ahead of bare essentials until about 5nm before white island and have them blast past us doing 3kts quicker, I guess outside the Mercs paid off eh boys!

-Good food and plenty of it. Dead snakes and ducks feet.

-Good company and plenty of humour.

-14 year old Ziggy keeping the boat in the groove for 2 hours upwind in the light, the best tacks we did for the whole race.

-GLAMOUR weather

-Happy hour. Found a new drink, rum and coconut/pineapple.

-A pretty damn good result.

Well done to Sally and Rob on the Copellia, you guys sailed a great race (again.....)

I look forward to Bardys official marshal law race report.

What’s next Smithy?

If I can get the time off, certainly 3 Kings!!! Thanks for the comments Josh. Zigs will be rapt! Also thanks to all the North crew for getting the main finished in good time, and getting it on the boat and ready to race. Bloody nice sail!!

More, pressed wrong button. What has happened to the edit button?? The last pic was David Noyer wearing "Dick of the Day" glasses for some misdemeanor... These ones show us finally getting passed by Bare essentials about 5 nm out from White Island..

IMG_0039.JPG

IMG_0039.JPG

Oh well, no drama...

So here we go...

The 2012 RAYC Around White Island Race on The Marshall.

Smithy emailed me a while back and asked me if I wanted to do the White Island race with him on The Marshall. I jumped at the chance as I had never sailed around White Island, and it was one of the races I had on my wish list to do. (MASSIVE thanks to Akarana for running the race. We need more of this sort of race around our beautiful country.)

Smithy was still trying to fill a full crew, and let me know that he had ordered a brand new main from Booboo specially for the race, but that Booboo was being a hold out and not committing to the post-sales sail for the race just yet. I emailed Booboo and wound him up and said that if I could fly up from Wellington for the race, the least he could do was stand by the product he flogged and give the guy the benefit of his expertise on how to get the most out of it... Booboo replied with a giggle, saying he'd been expecting an wind up from me over the issue, and said he'd see what he could do. A few days later the remaining two crew spots were locked-in-Eddie, with Booboo and his boss at Norths signed on to do the race.

Smithy had a list as long as his arm to get done in the lead up to the race, and he was travelling a bit too which made it more challenging... but in the final days before the race some very well thought out preparation and planning emails came out covering when people needed to do what in then lead up to the race (test sail, briefing, morning of the race) and importantly who was going to bring what food and drinks.

My allocation was one breakfast (selection of cereals, tinned fruit and milk) and snacks (Snakes, ducks feet, pineapple lumps and mum's secret surprise).

So I left work on the Thursday and headed home and had dinner and a very pleasant beer on the deck in perfect sunny cloudless conditions with Lise before she drove me to the airport. Mum picked me up at the airport, and we stopped on the way home to pick up some rum and ginger beer- the last outstanding items on my list. We got her to place pretty late, had a brief catch up and then I hit the pillows.

Mum dropped me down at Bayswater the next morning where I bumped into Booboo getting out of the Norths Sails van, and we wandered down to the boat, where everyone was busily getting ready for the departure:

aroundwhiteisland01.jpg

aroundwhiteisland02.jpg

We got everything stowed away and I introduced myself to a bunch of guys I was going to live with for the next two days. We cast off on time and motored around to the fuel jetty to pick up the final two members of the crew who had just caught the ferry across from princess Wharf, and we were ready to head out to the battle ground.... for which we clearly needed our crew.org battle flag up...

aroundwhiteisland05.jpg

During the motor out Ziggy, Smithy's son, who was doing his first offshore race, decided he'd pre-emptively get his wearing of the "you're a dick" glasses out of the way, so that when he did the first "you're a dick" thing of the race he'd already have one mandatory glasses wearing stint ticked off (Bicky looking on amusedly):

aroundwhiteisland03.jpg

Gary and Craig were ready to go:

aroundwhiteisland04.jpg

As were (from left to right) Bowman Dave (in his offshore racing hoody), John, Booboo, Bicky, Myself and Smithy:

aroundwhiteisland06.jpg

So we went for a little test sail out towards Rough Rock to look at the new main, and to do some practice tacks and assess the option of going out Rangitoto Channel and north of Rangitoto and Motutapu. We were worried that with the forecast 5 knots variable, that we might not make it through the Motuihe Channel with the incomming tide. So we listened to the nowcasting and began plotting the wind at Channel Island, Tiritiri, Tamaki Strait, Manukau Heads and Great Mercury every 15 minutes. The pattern that emerged was that 7 - 12 knots from the Eastern Quarter was the norm. On the basis of that and the wind direction we were seeing in the vacinity of Bean Rock and Northern Leading we discounted the option of heading out the Rangi Channel and elected to go the Motuihe Channel way.

We headed back to the starting area, and I was asked to read the Sailing Instructions, specifically to check if there were any fairway markers that needed to be observed. At no point was I asked to read the SIs to confirm our starting time...

..So we lined up for what turned out to be the best start The Marshall has ever pulled off. We were right on the Committee Boat, at pace, in clear air and WELL ahead of the other monohulls. It soon became apparent that this was largely because it wasn't the monohulls start... it was the multihull one. Which kinda explained Simon Hulls quip: "It'd be really nice if you guys kept out of our starting area...". We apologised. Smithy did have a good defence... in the SIs it did say:

Monohull Race Multihull Start 1000

Multihull Race Monohull Start 1005

We had read the "Monohull Race" part in the left hand coloumn and run our finger across to the "1000" without seeing that the "Monohull race" row listed the Multihull Start time. Ooops all round.

We then lined up for a second attempt at the start. Strangely there was more interest in the committee boat end the second time, and we got nicely shut out by the team on Truxtion, and had to circle around... not ideal, but not as bad as Squealer's start, as they were OCS and had to go back.

Hence the following discussion near Bean Rock:

Due to our slightly late start we were astern of Truxton at the windward side of the fleet, so we tacked away to clear our air. Truxton, bless them, decided to make the most of their position, and followed us to slam dunk on top of us. A few tacks were exchanged, and eventually we settled to leeward of them:

aroundwhiteisland07.jpg

While Squealer were locked away astern of us:

aroundwhiteisland08.jpg

And Vodafone were struggling to get away in the painfully light airs heading up to Emu Point and the Motuihe Channel.

aroundwhiteisland09.jpg

aroundwhiteisland11.jpg

Slowly we squeezed up under and in front of Truxton, and soon the positions shown earlier were reversed:

aroundwhiteisland10.jpg

Bare Essentials were not too far in front of us:

aroundwhiteisland12.jpg

and Copellia was not far behind. In fact the four of us (Truxton, The Marshall, Copellia and Squealer) exchanged many tacks up the Rangitoto shore towards Illomoana Becon, with the boats that managed to get closer to the shore each time coming out ahead. We went from in front, to behind, to infront, to behind and in front again of Copellia... Rob called out to us as we crossed one time (after he'd waved us in front of him): "The shore certainly is paying, huh?"

aroundwhiteisland13.jpg

aroundwhiteisland14.jpg

aroundwhiteisland15.jpg

Meanwhile in front of us the three bigger boats (Bare Essential, Equilibrium and Starlight Expresss) were all closely grouped as well:

aroundwhiteisland16.jpg

Archived